New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel Threads for Kimber BGR
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm starting a new 7x57 project using a Kimber BGR action.

Does anyone know what barrel threads I should specify when ordering the barrel?

Hook em Horns

Posts: 335 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It sounds as if you intend to fit and chamber it yourself. If that be the case, just measure the action threads. I don't think you should order a barrel already threaded or even find a maker that would just thread one and not short or long chamber one. I could be wrong however.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
Jim is right. Threads are never exactly the same from one action to the next. In the last few years they seem to have gotten a lot worse too. It's always better to cut the threads to the action you have and try as you go as you get to the last few thousandths. You seem to get a lot more happy endings if thread fit is proper.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I helped design that action in 1988 it was a nomial 1 1/6" x 16 tpi, the same as the Rem 700.

Bolt nose counter bore not quite the same depth as the M700

But the breech length is slightly differnt, and do not forget about the extractor slot.

So your best bet would be to measure the action, and turn and thread to match your receiver. That way you can always get the proper class of thread fit to the barrel vs the receiver.

J Wisner

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just take your action down I 35 to HCR and be done w/it.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote