New
Find
Notify
Tools

What lube to 'slick an action'
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've done the cycle several hundred times thing, and I have an Surgeon action that just ain't smooth enough for me.

I am looking for advice on what and where to lube the action--bolt raceways specifically I suppose.

It seems that when cycling the bolt, I tend to pull it back just slightly off center, especially just as the bolt lugs come out of the recesses, and it is really binding right then....I have a lot of other rifles, and this isn't an issue with them. The action and bolt have some sort of a coating on them, it isn't cerrakoting, but seems like some sort of oxidized finish of some type.....should I just put some lube on the bolt lugs and raceways or what?????

Thanks for any tips--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
A little bit of automotive grease on the lugs and lots of working the bolt back and forth, open and closed, has smoothed out several like that for me.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
Do you know what the bolt to raceway clearance is? Many of the custom actions use very tight tolerances for this fit(.001"-.002"). This will make the rifle shoot better as well as allow higher pressure loads to be fired, but also needs to be kept lubed to insure smooth function. A touch of olive oil applied to the bolt body can really help with its function, use it as often as needed.

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pearl Drops tooth polish.

Then, after cycling it a few hundred times, clean it all out.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
Try Plastilube. It really stays put and gives the action a slick feel.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fish30114:
I've done the cycle several hundred times thing, and I have an Surgeon action that just ain't smooth enough for me.

I am looking for advice on what and where to lube the action--bolt raceways specifically I suppose.

It seems that when cycling the bolt, I tend to pull it back just slightly off center, especially just as the bolt lugs come out of the recesses, and it is really binding right then....I have a lot of other rifles, and this isn't an issue with them. The action and bolt have some sort of a coating on them, it isn't cerrakoting, but seems like some sort of oxidized finish of some type.....should I just put some lube on the bolt lugs and raceways or what?????

Thanks for any tips--Don

Virgin pee?

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ricochet:
A little bit of automotive grease on the lugs and lots of working the bolt back and forth, open and closed, has smoothed out several like that for me.

Thanks Ricochet, that sounds worth a try.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rub Line:

That sounds interesting, where do you find it?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fish30114:
quote:
Originally posted by Rub Line:

That sounds interesting, where do you find it?

You can get it from www.scott-duff.com

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Craigster, got a jar on the way.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use LIGHT oil like the Remington oil.It's available everywhere and bolt operation doesn't get slicker than that.I also put a little grease on the areas that take alot a wera,like the recoil lugs and bolt shroud etc...

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote