THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Should friction ring be loose on Auto 5 shotgun?
 Login/Join

posted
I recently purchased an Auto 5 Lt. 12 Stalker shotgun in about 98 or 99% condition. I took the barrel off to make sure the friction ring was adjusted correctly for light load shells before I shot it, and I noticed that the friction ring that fits between the recoil spring and the barrel was actually loose fitting.

I also have a Franchi 20 gauge model 48 and the friction ring on it has always fit tight enough that there is enough friction on it so that it takes a small amount of effort to slide it on and off.

Should the friction ring fit a little tighter on the Browning or is it supposed to fit this loosely?

The gun shoots and functions perfectly; I just don't want to put undue strain on the gun and working mechanism if the ring is not fitting correctly.

Thanks for any info.

Ole Miss Rebel

Posts: 27 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Every one that I have ever seen has been a pretty snug
sliding fit, for what it's worth. Does yours have the outer spring steel containment/compression ring in place over the bronze friction piece? If it's missing, that would explain the loose fit.

Even if it is a bit loose, it still should be compressed properly between the barrel ring and the lower ring on top of the recoil spring. In light load mode, you may not get much braking effect.

If you haven't already, I'd suggest you try the gun with the compression ring above the recoil spring, in normal/heavy load mode, even for lightest loads, and see if it functions with light loads. Be sure and hold the gun firmly on your shoulder. Most of them function fine with light loads and a very slightly oiled magazine tube in my experience. Less wear and tear on gun if it functions in normal/heavy load mode. These are wonderful shotguns. Enjoy yours! Joe

Posts: 58 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All of the ones I've seen on the older (used) Auto-5's and Remington 11's were loose. Not sloppy, but moved freely.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The bronze ring on my used A-5 was very loose. It would slide off almost on its own. When I replaced this and the spring around it, it went on very tight. Tools were necessary to get the ring opened enough to put on the mag tube.

I also replaced the action spring behind the bolt and the recoil spring under the barrel (I may have the names backwards). Both of these springs had been compressed for such a long time that they were 10%-15% shorter than the new replacement springs.

With the old stuff, the gun would beat the snot out of me. After replacement. It took about 200 rounds for the thing to loosen up enough for reliable functioning.

Here's the list of Brownells parts

149-005-378 Recoil Spring

149-005-215 Friction Spring

149-005-205 FRICTION RING

149-005-197 Friction Piece, Bronze

149-005-001 Action Spring

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, I just noticed your handle. Welcome aboard. I too am a Rebel fan. In fact, I'll be moving back to Mississippi in about 2 or 3 weeks. Got my season tickets on order and can't wait for the football season.

As far as your question goes, I don't have a clue. Just wanted to talk to a fellow Rebel.

Posts: 407 | Location: Olive Branch, MS | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
I have a Browning Light Twelve I've been shooting for about 40 years. the ring will slide off. I've had no problems except maybe a few dead doves that fly away.

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info, guys. To Gunsmither - Yes, the outer compression ring is fitting correctly around the inner ring. To DeltaHunter - I'm glad you have your tickets. Ole Miss will need all the support it can get this year post-Eli to have a good season.

Sincerely,

Ole Miss Rebel

Posts: 27 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 September 2003Reply With Quote