Find
Notify
Tools

Bob White
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted
I read a book on rifle accuracy by Glen Newick. He mentions Robert "Bob" White (gunsmith) several times. Mr. Newick has his telephone number in the credits but the number is no longer working. At the time of publication (1989) if memory serves, Mr. White was in New Jersey. Anyone know of this gentleman's shop?

I live in south central Kentucky and if there is a gunsmith even remotely close to me, I am not aware of him. So, if you have a recommendation, please provide contact info.

I am interested in my very first custom, but I'm not sure how to start. I was thinking of sending an action to Lilja and having them put on a barrel. Then, could I send it to a stock company like McMillan and have a stock put on? I don't know if this plan is doable at all???

Posts: 336 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Born

You might try shootcornr@aol.com

Bobs web address (the last I knew) was www.benchrest.com/shooterscorner

Mail address should be 8 New jersey Ave, Lake Hopatcong, NJ 07849

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
Born to Hunt,

I just received a shipment of supplies from Bob yesterday. I recently bought a used benchrest rifle from Bob, and he has a VERY large stock of used benchrest items, plus new benchrest related supplies. He is a nice guy, and a straight shooter (no pun intended).

Bob's contact info is on his web site that Cheechako posted, as well as a large list of in-stock items, but be advised that the list has not been updated in a while so some items may no longer be available (and newer items may not be on the list yet).

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might give Clay Spencer a call.. He's a really fine gunsmith from Virginia 434 293 6836..

Dan Lilja doen't do chambering anymore, to the best of my knowledge.

Hart rifle barrels in NY does do gunsmithing, 315 677 9841

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob White is first class. Has worked on two rifles for me so far.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Clay Spencer Clay has built 5 for me benchrest & hunting & all were first class.

Posts: 265 | Location: south texas | Registered: 30 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
I was over Bob's way last year, called him, and spent probably three hours going through his collection of benchrest rifles and equipment that he's got for sale.

Although, if there is anything you particularly want to look at, call ahead before you get there. His shop is a converted garage, and there are rifles stuck in cases EVERYWHERE. In fact, he couldn't find several things I was interested in.

He does all his gunsmithing on a SB Heavy 10 by the way(and it looks immaculate).

Fair prices on most everything, especially when you get him talking. Benchrest awards, trophies, and targets you wouldn't believe hanging everywhere. Really is worth a trip, I wish I would have brought lunch for us both when I was there.

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote