New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about Post Berretta SAKOs and TIKAs
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know the older SAKOs had Metric Threads. Do the newer SAKOs and TIKAs still have metric treads?

I had a call from a man wanting his new (less than 3 year old) SAKO rebarreled from a 308 to a 6.5 Creedmoor. He said his previous gunsmith had trued his action and the current barrel was a 6XC and it was 16 tpi. None of the SAKO/TIKA websites list the tenon threads specs. It looks like I will have to make a special trip with a set of thread gauges to check the action.

I really don't want to change the gears on my lathe for just one job.

Longshot

Posts: 322 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Metric threads are a pain. The thread dial doesn't work and for nearly all of them if the lead screw is disengaged there is no practical way to pick it up again, which means that when one is threading toward a sholder, one has to have a way to retract the cutter and reverse the lathe almost instantly.

I changed to a 3Ph motor on my gear head lathe specifically to be able to just flip the switch from forward to reverse when cutting metric threads.

fitch

Posts: 153 | Location: Carlisle, PA | Registered: 04 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No worries.

Sako and Tikkas are 1"x16 tpi.

flaco