THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    M1999 "NEW" Update on Short & L/H Long Actions

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M1999 "NEW" Update on Short & L/H Long Actions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello everyone, here is the new update from Pinetree on the progress on the Short Actions and L/H Long Actions. This again as before comes from Mark Gurney who is the Engineering Manager for Pine Tree Castings.

"Hi Brian,
I'm sorry I didn't return your calls sooner, but here is an update regarding where we are:

Receivers and bolts are at both of your machine shops. One of the machine shops is simply going to machine the bolts to fit inside the as-cast receiver, while the other machine shop plans to machine all features.

Bolt dies are being reworked now. We did receive your PO, than you very much.

Dimensional layouts of two of the three receivers are done, the third should be completed by Tuesday. I took the liberty of estimating what you needed to have fixed in the die, and what you would OK as-is, and developed a mold rework order that is reasonably simple. With one exception on each die, the reworks involve only material removal from the dies, which can be accomplished both more quickly and more reliably than material addition in the die.

The complete package of layouts and my proposed reworks should be sent out to you on Tuesday, for Wednesday delivery. You are not bound to my suggested die reworks, I simply tried to balance what was eaasiest to do in the die, with what I thought you'd need for dimensions.

The lug/raceway fitups can't be determined until the machine shops do some machining. I'll keep prodding them.

The mold shop can start on the receiver reworks first thing next week, so that gives you a couple of days to review the layouts and let me know if you need any changes to the rework orders. I've spent the better part of the last couple of days with these layouts, and I think I can walk you through the layout/rework pretty readily if you need any explanation. We'll throw in the Mauser collar diameter change on our nickel during the rework.

Once we agree on a rework course, we'll get a completion estimate out of the mold shop, and then we'll know when you can expect more samples. The fun will begin when we try to decide how many samples you wish us to run. I know you want production ASAP, and the reworks, so far, are pretty straightforward. I wouldn't, however, run hundreds of pieces without some oversight, especially without some machining trials. To top it off, we have our shutdown from July 28th to August 8th. We will support you in any way possible.

Call or email with any questions.

Thanks,

Mark"

Looks as though we are getting closer, but not quite ready to release the actions just yet. Progress seems to be ahead of schedule, but with Pine Tree shutting down for a week or so it might push us right back to being right on schedule. I'll keep you posted as to the results of the layouts.

Thanks
Dan

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Dsan,

I asm interested in the left-hand actions as I have one in that group. Can you point to which path the LH actions are taking?

thanks...jim

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Please elaborate on what "on schedule" means.

Back in January I was told to expect delivery of short actions as early as May, but maybe June. Next, the delivery date was given as mid-July.

Now there is reference to a week's delay for a shutdown in August, which means delivery isn't expected till after the first week of August, presumably.

What is the schedule and what is the reasonable expectation of delivery?

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob3:
Yes, I know it's frustrating to wait for something for which you have already paid but after reading the megathread started by walex last week, we should count our blessings that all this came to light before a clintonload of the actions went out. I have an order in, my credit card was charged the day after I ordered and I'm waiting two-plus months now as well. But I have faith and I'm working on the patience portion of it. I just try to remember that "all good things come to those who wait." I'm LHLA 85.

[ 07-02-2003, 21:38: Message edited by: rootbeer ]

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As I said, we are actually ahead of schedule. If you have been following the posts the normal time from start of molds till the first product comes out of Pine Tree is 26 Weeks. As we started the molds in March 26 weeks would put that at the end of August or first part of September. We are only a matter of weeks of having the first real actions coming off the line at Pine Tree. As you read the post above you see that Mark Gurney is doing everything he can to speed up the process and has always been a man of his word. I "expect" to start shipping the short actions and left hand long actions out around the end of this month. I'm sorry if our estimated dates have changed constantly but when we give out dates it is the best date at that time. As I have been talking back and forth with Mark Gurney and am in more on the progress I can give you better, more accurate dates.

posted Hide Post
Dan, please that you and your company take the time it takes to make the actions the best you can.

I have three on order and have a lot of interest in quality over a rush job.

thank you also for your candor with your customers.

<shooter 42>
posted
dan,
i have eight actions on order, for myself and others sold sight unseen. take all the time you need and get them right. your rep and mine will be judged. i know we will remain sterling.
thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I waited 6 months to receive my left-handed Winchester M70 Classic Safari Express. It has been 15 months since I took delivery of that rifle, and it was been back to Winchester twice and a local gunsmith once. It is nearly shootable.

I am not talking about now I will finally have a gold-plated custom 1/2 MOA DGR; I mean maybe the striker won't fall when the bolt is worked briskly, and maybe the barrel will run visibly parallel to the channel in the forend of the stock.

I have been waiting on parts to finish fixing it for three months. I got those parts from Winchester yesterday. What Winchester sent doesn't look like what the rifle came with. After I get clarification from Winchester that these parts are usable, I can proceed with fixing and then actually shooting the rifle.

Waiting another month or three for the Winchester would have been excruciating, but if it resulted in my not having to spend 15 months to get the rifle in working order (big if) , I'd rather have waited the three.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The way to enjoy having a custom rifle made up is to anticipate the fun and take it easy on the time line. This does not mean to let it go but instead to just keep track of what's going on and be happy about it.

If someone is thinking that the M 1999 is the only gun around and when they ordered it in April that they must have it in the field for opening day next October then go ahead but why strain yourself? Just plan on using some other gun this fall and have the Montana ready for next spring and shoot some targets and varmints with it then.

It's not like you can't go into a shop and find some interesting gun to play with right now.

In summary lets take it easy and not pressure things to the point that they become non productive.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What can I say to those comments? I for one am really excited about the short actions coming out. I wish I had them now or two months ago, but the process of making it flawless does take time. And you have no idea how much we appreciate your patience with us. We're still learning along the way with the help of all of you and I think that the end product will be well worth the wait. Thanks again guys and we'll keep you updated.

Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well said Rick! My actions are for a friends 50th birthday, and he'll be 47 in September.

I got time.

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RecRob:
God willing and the creek don't rise, your bud just might get it on time. Just kidding, Dan.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan-

Any notable update for the group?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will be posting an update on all the actions today, just have to get the Pinetree update email from the bosses computer.