Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for advice on Sako 85 magazine feeding
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted
I have a Sako 85 in 9.3x62. It has the standard Sako 85 double stack magazine. I usually carry this rifle for sambar deer hunting with 3 or 4 rounds in the mag.

When I run the bolt to chamber a round, the bolt picks up the first round, but the cartridge binds up in the action feed rails, half way out of the magazine before getting into the chamber.

I am thinking I might be able to bend the lips on the magazine to improve the angle of the case and there by improve the feeding. Does anyone have any suggestions before I start screwing around with it?

Posts: 425 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Acquaintance of mine bought a Sako 85 in 6.5x55 and right from get go it had feed problems. He had it to a gunsmith who played around with it to no avail then to another one who mentioned it may have the wrong magazine box. Somewhere along the line he got a spare stainless spring and follower for the magazine. Ultimately he asked if I would check it out. I checked everything out and researching online it seems the magazine box is specific to groups of cartridges, with a specific one for the 6.5x55. Many posts online about mag feed issues with these rifles. The magazine box in his rifle was not correct based on what I found online so he contacted the NZ agent, Beretta, and they agreed to supply the 6.5x55 magazine box under warranty. That solved the issue.

For an expensive rifle, the magazines on these Sako's are shoddy IMO. Most cheap rifles today like Marlins, Vanguards, Howas, etc., have good reliable feeding magazines, don't know why Sako had to come up with what they did for the 85.

Posts: 3886 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote