New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chrome Moly Barrel Steels
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been checking out websites of many of the top barrel makers looking for 7mm & 375 barrels. I notice that none of them seem to agree about the "best" chrome moly steel to use for barrels. Most are using 4140 but, there are several using other grades such as 4145, 4150, and 4340. Several advertise that "their" barrel steel is made for them to their own specs. Each seems to think that the grade of steel they are using is the most suited for barrels.

My question is...when compairing the absolute top quality barrels brands are there any practical differances in these steel types? Should a consumer not only look at the manufactors reputation and method(cut, button etc.) but, also steel grade? Will 4145 give you something 4340 won't or vice verse?

Thanks,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Dave,
TODAY's barrels, it doesn't matter, for a hunting rifle. You can take your pick... pac-nor, shilen, lathor, lija,walther, wiseman, krieg... etc etc etc, and you might get one that's better than the other .. IF they do the barrel work to install it. A hunting rifle is going to get more from the squaring of the action, laping the lugs, bedding the action, chambering, crowning, and throating than a micromico smooth, can't read the difference in the groups with a micrometer, benchrest barrel.

My suggestion? Go with a top name maker, and have them do you barrel... and gunsmith it... unless you've got a great gunsmith in your backpocket, or you are a hobbbist yourself.

Look around at the prices, and see that the QUALITY barrels are within 10% of each other. But, a contured barrel is "cheap" anway.. it's going to be less than the scope you buy for it, and if you are using bases and quality QD rings, less than the mounts and rings. Hell, it's even going to be cheaper than a quality checkering job, or quailty sights.

Are you planing on building a 7 mag and a 375 hh? You might look at buying the action you want, with the barrel and stock alreay there (like a win m70 in 7mag and 375) and if they shoot, great, if not, try the accurizing tricks.

But, if you are deadset on building one, and you have the question of which barrel, let me warn you that you will QUICKLY have the price of 2 model 70s in one nice rifle.

jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The difference between 4140 and 4150 is only in the amount of carbon. There would be no significant difference in performance or machinability. The barrelmakers would use one over the other depending on price most likely. 4340 is a similar steel but with the addition of around 2% nickel. The 4340 may be slightly more corrosion resistant. The drawback may be in the bluing stage. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3784 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote