Find
Notify
Tools

Fire Sale
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted
I bought this BRNO 21 action at what I thought was a good price. I plan to use it on a 7X57 for my son. What do you think?

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane's gunna love it! Pre-annealed!

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1827 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
It was pre-annealed but I didn't know it at the time.

I bought the action and thought it looked good except for a hole in the rear bridge. I shipped it off to Duane and he identified that someone had also plugged a couple of holes in the front ring with a welding torch. Everything was nicely re-blued and looked a whole lot better than is does in this photo. Caveat Emptor!

Duane plugged/re-plugged everything that need fixing and then sent the action to Pacific Heat Treating. The receiver tested at HRC 18!! This is what it looked like after it came back from Pacific Heat Treating. Duane said he would send it to me for detailing and final polishing. That's a cruel joke that Duane likes to use on me because of one single time I tried to polish an action before I sent it to him. I think he just doesn't like the competition.

I expected the action to look a little burnished after heat treating, I didn't expect it to look like it had been in a house fire.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Apparently the Brno doesn't hold up as well as the pre-64 M-70 to fire....

MKane160

You can always make more money, you can never make more time...........LLYWD. Have you signed your donor card yet?

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MKane160:

MKane160

OH NO!---- stir

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MKane160:

MKane160
Frowner

the Model 70 that I had didn't even look like that. the only thing wrong with it was that it had its bluing taken off, and if you look at Pre-64 actions after they have had their bluing taken off you will see that they can be rough as cobs of corn. There was no scaling on it, or anything even close to what I see on this action.

And besides, what should one expect when they have a receiver rehardened. The Pacific Process attempts to add some carbon back into the skin of the steel. To add carbon you have to either use a gas that has carbon in it, or some other material that burns and places carbon into the atmosphere when it burns. And when that happens you have scaling. If you don't think so, put a piece of steel on a small fire and see what happens. It will scale.

Good luck on your project Forrest. You son is lucky to have a Dad that takes him hunting and gets custom rifles built for him by the likes of Duane Wiebe!!!!!! thumb

Here is a better photo that isn't so dark.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What do you think?

I think I'll start callin' you daddy. Big Grin

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me tell the REAL story: I was offered a few acions, this one among them. The only action I was really interested in was this BRNO and passed on the info to Forrest..well...he whined and sniveled...really wanted the BRNO..OK OK...you can have it! Of course, I have thanked him profusley or getting between me and that action!! HAR! Light bead blasting cleaned up everything...curiously, the bolt rock welled at 60! Pacific recommended pulling it back to 45-48, which I gave the go ahead. The action is now 33-36..it is now a fine package, will make up into a nice little sporter

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
After a little bead blasting, it's looking better...

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Here's another BRNO in the works. Duane has reshaped the squarebridges a bit. Very sweet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 12th birthday is coming soon! ForrestB and Duane, you guys have a real eye for art in a rifle. Everything is executed just right and no one piece overpowers the rest. We see alot of nice pieces on this forum, but very few as nice as the ones in your collection.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of aleaddict
posted Hide Post
quote:
My 12th birthday is coming soon!

"Papa" Lambert is turning twelve? Your birthday must be February 29th!!

Wink

Posts: 140 | Location: Southern Kalistan | Registered: 25 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
I bought this BRNO 21 action at what I thought was a good price. I plan to use it on a 7X57 for my son. What do you think?

I can't believe the trouble you guys go through to polish things like that when there is perfectly usable paint to cover it up.

http://www.choiceful.com/large_product.php?prod_image=5...gn=£&price=&text=inc. VAT

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:

I can't believe the trouble you guys go through to polish things like that when there is perfectly usable paint to cover it up. Here's a link:

http://www.choiceful.com/large_product.php?prod_image=5...gn=£&price=&text=inc

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted Hide Post
Lookin good after a little TLC. Do you mind me asking how much your heat treating cost you?

P.S. your son is very lucky, my first rifle from my father was a Ruger tang safety .243 win. Of course at the time I had no idea what a 7x57 was and only a faint idea of what a Mauser really was. Naturally I was and still am very grateful for what I did receive which accounted for many whitetail, mulies, and antelope in my youth .

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I believe Duane told me that the heat treating ran about $150. Whatever the price was, Pacific said they would do up to ten receivers for that same price.

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
looking good forrest

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, it's named "Pacific Metalurgical" in Kent WA. To run a single action is about the same as to do several actions. Bolts and actions are treated as seperate jobs. Tom Burgess has apparently worked closely with these folks and they tend to use his guidance and advice...can't go too wrong with that!

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post

That bridge treatment is a nice touch.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote