Find
Notify
Tools

BOLT QUESTION
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Really pissed over this --

Put an action in storage for a bit -- cleaned and lubed -- but now I have surface rust on my 300RUM bolt Mad

The bolt is "jeweled". WHat to do? I was thinkiong wet sanding w. mineral spirits and #3 or #4 steel wool?? What say you?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would start with a rough cloth and some oil. If you go to 0000 steel wool use a light oil and not a solvent.

Jim

Posts: 1210 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Definitely don't use wet sanding. Even steel wool could scratch the jeweling. I've attached a link to instructions for an electrolysis tank which will remove only the rust and leave the steel alone. A light buffing with a soft cloth when you are done should restore it.

http://www.surplusrifleforum.c...pic.php?f=80&t=62728

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dall85:
I would start with a rough cloth and some oil. If you go to 0000 steel wool use a light oil and not a solvent.

X-2 thumb

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I cannot "feel" the rust from running a finger over it but its there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DAMN I hate that.

If I do the tank should I de-assemble the barrel first?

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BISCUT:

Put an action in storage for a bit -- cleaned and lubed -- but now I have surface rust on my 300RUM bolt

I am dying to know, what did you lube it with before storing?

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Before you try scrubbing the rust off you might degreasing the bolt then polishing it with a pencil eraser. Usually the eraser will remove light rust without damaging the parent metal.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Happich makes Simichrome metal polish. It is very mild, probably the least abrasive medium you could use. Toothpaste is somewhere on the abrasive scale. More elbow grease with a fine polish may produce results without without going too far.
Break Free CLP and Corrosion X are rated as excellent for future rust inhibiting.

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
ultrasonic jewelry cleaner with light oil...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hoppes No 9 is a good rust remover. I have shot sporting clays many times in the rain and a few times didn't wipe my gun thoroughly enough before I got to clean it and had some surface rust. I soaked a rag in Hoppes No 9 and wrapped it on the area where the rust was and it didn't take long and it was gone. It's a cheap way to try removing it and it can't hurt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
Originally posted by BISCUT:

Put an action in storage for a bit -- cleaned and lubed -- but now I have surface rust on my 300RUM bolt

I am dying to know, what did you lube it with before storing?

Scary how quick this happened. I took the stock off of my Rem700 RUM as the stock was going to get a new finish coat of Watco.

Used WipeOut to clean the inside barrel. Cleaned the bore and locking lug recess, and rails. TM grease on the bolt/rails.

For whatever reason I did not wipe everythign down w. BreakFree like I usually do. I wiped down the bolt with Kroil via rag.

Storage time was only 2 months!!!!! There were a lot of days where heavy fog and humidity were rollin around.

None of my other rifles received any damage. I do have a few rifles Big Grin. The only difference in storage was that this rifle was NOT in a protective bag -- I use a lot of the Cabellas canvas bags.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have heard and read from several sources that Kroil is not worth a hoot as a rust preventer, lubricator, only as a penetrater....

It is hard to beat Break Free as a "Juice" to put on a gun, the metal parts, for any reason.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Flitz, Semichrome or Mothers Mag polish will do the job nicely.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've seen that before on a jeweled (engine turned) bolt. I think the bolt will have to be re-jeweled.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
Re-jewelling the bolt is not that big of a deal. I do it all the time. It will take about an hour.....Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote