fired my 6br today (rem 700) and when trying to extract
csae bolt will not pull it out. I looked at the
bolt face and the little claw like thing looks to
be worn down. Is this the extractor? and how easy
can it be replaced? Also is this what everybody changes
out in favor of a sako one?

Thanks

Kian

Posts: 88 | Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana | Registered: 24 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are easy to change if it is the newer style and not riveted in. Just take a small screw driver and pry it out. But remember once you pry it out it well be worthless so make sure you have a new one to put in. When putting the new one in use as little force as possible so you do not destroy the new one.

Posts: 19597 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Magnum's have a rivit to hold the extractor in place. When you got the brass out was there a piece of the rim gone, or was it perfectly round?? Check and see if the extractor is clean also. How old is the gun?? Did you load the shell, and if so was the bolt hard to lift up and was it a hot load??To many pro's and con's on the Sako exchange for me. I was going to change but have a 300Wby and will stay with what I have. You can get a new Rem-extractor from Remington, or pay a special handling of $3.00 + shipping from www.midwayusa.com it costs $11.50. Its listed under gunsmithing under remington parts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fellas, here again is the reason why we put in Sako extractors. Plain and simple, the Remmys don't hold up and fail at the damndest times. It is no easy task to install one of the springy ones; they tend to bend and are useless. If you plan to repace one, make sure yu have at least and extra one or two on hand. I do the Sako extractor conversions for $110 and have never had to look back.

Jim

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to vote for fixing the original extractor and leaving the bolt intact. There really is not much which can go wrong with a Rem. extractor, if it's not bent or damaged. And, you retain the safety that Rem. has built into their guns.

Are you having extraction problems like hearing a "click" at the top (opening)of the bolt throw? Is this a new barrel? Are you sure of your brass fit with your chamber?

Have the original checked out, then make sure there is nothing wrond with the brass, chamber, etc.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Your loads may be too hot or the case was not sized right.

I would check out that first and clean the area with a brush.

Don't put a Sako extractor in. The rifle is not a DGR and Remington extractors work. Instead trade off the entire rifle for something better if you must.

If the 6mm Br. is a target rifle then leave it as is and fix the extractor if necessary.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, the 6BR is a target rifle
there are no pcs. missing from the
brass. I don't think the load is to
hot, this is the same load I have
been shooting and was the same load
given to me by the other owner. I don't
have any clicking or hard bolt opening
it really moves like smooth butter. I'm
going to have it checked out by a gunsmith

Kian

Posts: 88 | Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana | Registered: 24 January 2003Reply With Quote