New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help with a broomhandle.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys, I picked up a nice looking broomhandle a bit back and am just now getting to it. I have no idea about these. So how do you work the action, pop the mag, and field strip them if needed? Either it is jammed or I am doing something stupid. Can someone talk me through this?

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
They are very intricate puzzles of machined steel; every piece is interlocked to another. Get the NRA disassembly guide or other info before you try anything. There is a plethora of instructions on you tube and the net so no need re-post all that here. Oh, there is no mag to pop, so you should stop now. They load from the top with stripper clips.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Happiness is a warm gun

one of us
posted Hide Post

Thanks, that would have driven me nuts. the reason I asked is there is a pin next to the bottom plate.

Happiness is a warm gun

one of us
posted Hide Post
ok well how would I open the action? I have to be missing something very basic. I don't want to fiddle with it too much as it is a very nice piece. That said, I don't want to pay someone to tell me how stupid I am either. LOL!

Happiness is a warm gun

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Load the stripper clip with ammunition. Cock the hammer. Grip the bolt wings on either side of the bolt and pull the bolt back as far as it will go. It will lock in to position.
Insert either end of the loaded stripper clip in to the feed grooves on the barrel extension.
Place a thumb over the top cartridge case and push all ten cartridges straight down into the box magazine below. They will feed in a double staggered row. Pull the stripper clip out. The bolt will automatically go forward and load the first round into the firing chamber. With the hammer already cocked, the C96 is now 'in battery' and ready to fire! 6 7.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Looks like a 7.62. Very nice piece. Again, if you search the net, you will find much info on how to manage and operate these things.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tell the guy right dpcd...it's a 7.63x25mm also called 30 Mauser. Russia used an almost identical cartridge 7.62x25 Tokarev which was loaded much hotter. I wouldn't use the Russian ammo in Mauser.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking Mauser.
The jeweled hammer and trigger suggest a refinish. The blued metal surfaces look refinished to me but that may just be the pictures.

1930 Model, or one of it's variations?
There's some rare ones within the range (Mauser Banner marked, Early & Late 9mm Export cal,,,)

Serial number range and Safety type help pin it down.

With the Safety 'on' (forward), the bolt should not be able to be retracted. That's regardless of the position of the hammer being at full cock or down.
Four different safety types that all differ a bit in operation.
Second style, New Safety (NS stamped on back of hammer) and Universal style safety might all be found on the 1930 depending on when it was made.

I agree, No Tokarev ammo thru these.
Yes it will work. Too hot for the elderly action and lockup.
I know of two C96 pistols that cracked the locking lug on the bottom of the bolt with it's use.
Hey, the ammo was cheap.

Simple TD, the magazine floor plate, spring and follower have to be removed first. Mauser rifle style floor plate removal buttom.
Spring loaded tab at the rear of the frame is then lifted upward. The entire upper w/lockworks slides rearward and off the frame.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You are right; never shoot Tok ammo in a Broomhandle; I got in a hurry and just meant it wasn't a 9mm.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys once again you are all great. I knew it was a 30 mauser. I am positive from the condition it has been refinished at some point. Other than that, I didn't know anything about these. Never really had any interest in them before. Its a nice toy but I will probably flip it and put the money toward something else. That was actually why I bought it. I thought I could make a few bucks on it.

Happiness is a warm gun

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you do take it apart, be sure everything goes back exactly as it came out. The mainspring plunger can be replaced backwards (upside down?) and afterwards the piece will function but not come apart again. Back in the '90s, when I was messing with c96s, the oyster Bay trading company gave me this advice. They said it takes a special tool to remedy the mistake and they knew of no one still having the tool or even a blue print for it. Do not shoot Czech 7.62x25 in it either. The upper will stretch like silly putty. Seller and Bellot offer .30 Mauser, probably the best choice. You should check the firing pin tip for massive erosion. I always replaced the firing pin, firing pin spring, and main spring. They are neat guns. Enjoy

Posts: 477 | Location: western arkansas | Registered: 11 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you... that is an extremely important tip. That is something I at least would not have thought of. I don't know how many others are aware of that little issue but this could sure save a lot of folks a lot of trouble!!

Happiness is a warm gun

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not wanting to hijack the thread, but, out of curiosity, I'd like to ask: if no stripper clips, can the broomhandle be loaded by hand without(and what about the bolt coming forward)?

Posts: 203 | Location: in & of Dixie | Registered: 17 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hold the retracted/locked bolt open by pinching it and the hammer together with my thumb and first finger (left hand).
Load the pistol with single rounds using your right hand (all of this from a right handed shooters prospective).

The bolt will not come forward as you maintain your grip on it & the hammer. It doesn't take much force to hold it open this way,,quite easy to maintain w/o your hand becoming tired or risk of slipping.

When the mag is filled & still holding the bolt open and locked with your left hand fingers,,use your right hand to take a normal grip of the pistol. Do not release the bolt before you have a normal hand grip on & control of the pistol.

Pointing in a safe direction, now release the pressure of your left hand/fingers on the bolt & hammer. The bolt will run forward and chamber the top round,,hammer will be cocked, pistol ready to fire.

It's a very simple way to load the Mauser and takes little effort. Certainly easier to do than explain.
Dry run the operation a few times to get the feel of it first.

one of us
posted Hide Post
2152hq

Thanks much for the loading info. Regards.

Posts: 203 | Location: in & of Dixie | Registered: 17 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Damn, Mike! I'm jealous! Nice pistol!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote