New
Find
Notify
Tools

Installing a recoil pad
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am in the process of picking up a High Tech stock. It comes at 14" LOP. I need to chop off an inch and a half to accomadate a 1' Pachmyer pad and make it fit my frame. Banser told me that super glue will hold the pad. What is the best type of super glue for this? I was thinking of filling the stock with foam and fill the last half inch with glass bed and running some screws into it. I just can not get it into my head that the 1/8 inch gluing surface will hold the pad under recoil and temperature changes with normal Wal-mart super glue. I even kicked around fitting and bedding a 1/2 piece of marine grade ply wood to give it more surface. Looking for suggestions

one of us
posted Hide Post
What you want to do is use Acragel (which doesn't heat up with the potential to damage a composite stock like glass does) to secure a nice one inch thick piece of 2x4 (sanded down to fit the stock), then drill your holes to 1/8 inch diameter for the recoil pad screws that come with Pachmayer pads. Pachmayer includes fairly decent instructions to get the job done, but you really should have a stationary disk sander and a recoil pad fixture to get it to come out right. Definately use screws to secure the pad. It might be worth it to just have your local gunsmith put it on for you, after you bed the wood into the stock.

Posts: 33 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 18 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Theopolis, I can fit the pad once I get it on. I have done several PITA but they all have turned out near perfect (well better than factory fit) with out the jig. I am thinking of trying some 220 grit dry wall sandpaper/screen this time for the final fitting. Have you ever used this stuff? Does not clog and almost a $1.50 a sheet. I have a bunch here from doing the bathroom. I am just afriad the pad will not stay with glue alone. I would feel better about getting some screws in there.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hornet,
You can glue it on, super glue would probably work but, I dig out the foam around the edge about 1/4", and 1/8" over the surface and use epoxy, screws not needed. If you get the epoxy too thick it WILL generate too much heat, 1/2 thick is too much. I try to keep it 1/4" thick or less using the stuff from West Systems or anything else that heats up.

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I recently discovered a good way to do recoil pads. I just installed an old english pad on a Walnut stock, I used a dremell with the little drum sander type attachment and carefully rounded the pad while it was on the stock, then smoothed it out with 100 grit aluminum oxide. Worked real good, just gotta be carefull to keep the dremell away from the stock.

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote