New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mark X Questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Mark X Rifle that I bought in 416 Rem.
Someone before me opened the( rails)up a little too much such that it will not feed reliably with multiple rds in mag.
I have been told by one smith that there's not too much I can do to make it right as a 416 Rem.
Your thoughts??

Secondly, is there a DGR caliber that I can convert the action and change the barrell to?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Did they just open the rails or did they open the box as well? On top of the rails I assume that either the action started as a 375H&H or they also opened the box in front as well as reduced the feed ramp.

Sounds to me like they removed too much metal on the rails and now there is not enough to hold the case. Someone smarter than me might be able to tell you if making the box wider might give you enough edge to hold the case.

As it sits I would think trying a larger dia case would just make it worse. I don't know if custom bottom metal would help or not. But custom metal might cost as much as the action.

For my $ I would start over only the action itself would need replacing. You would need to open the feed ramp. It wouldn't have to be a magnum action just add your parts and re-headspace.

I never liked the 416Rem in a MKX. I prefer to go with something in the 3.34" and leave the ramp intact.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bowen475:
Someone before me opened the( rails)up a little too much such that it will not feed reliably with multiple rds in mag.
I have been told by one smith that there's not too much I can do to make it right as a 416 Rem.
Your thoughts??

Secondly, is there a DGR caliber that I can convert the action and change the barrell to?

Before you scrap it, get it to a gunsmith who knows feeding issues and let him check it over. He will be the best one to advise you based on what he sees.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just completed one of these to a 416. It now will hold four down. I used Weibe new bottom metal and follower. This is not a job for the faint hearted; it needed a lot of work to the underside of the action and rails

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bowen475:
Your thoughts??

I have a CZ 550 in .505 Gibbs that had the same issue. I had AHR fit it with one of their single stack magazines and it now is the best feeding most reliable rifle I own.

Posts: 528 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The more I think about this I bet you could refit a Weatherby single stack magnum magazine to work also in your Mark X.

Posts: 528 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote