New
Find
Notify
Tools

Extractor problem
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have an XP-100 (Remington) and the the extractor will not eject the cartridge. The extractor appears to be a small spring loaded claw. It holds the cartridge securely, but will not eject. What's wrong????

Posts: 1542 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 03 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Could be many things. One of the things I'd look at first is the chamber of your gun -- is it well polished? If not, small protrusions in it will grip the case when the case is fired and forced against the walls of the chamber, and the case will then be extremely hard to extract.

I had this happen with a new Remington 700 in .300 Weatherby. I had to hammer the bolt open, even with factory loads that I knew were not over loaded. So I polished the chamber. After that everything extracts like drawing a hot knife through soft butter.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Brain dead,

Please be a little more specific. When you withdraw the bolt what happens with the case?

In order to eject the brass, 2 things must happen. The extractor must have a good hold on the case, and the ejector, the little spring loaded plunger looking thing in the bolts face, must be free to move in and out under it's springs tension. The failure of either of these two actions will cause your problem. You need to see which of the 2 has failed.

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
It sounds like your extractor(the hook that pulls the brass from the chamber) is working fine but your ejector(the device that throws the brass away from the rifle) isn't. Perhaps the ejector pin is jammed in the down position.

Posts: 408 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote