New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help! Ruger 10/22 Misfires...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys, I need some help w/ my +30 year old Ruger 10/22 in 22 LR. It is now misfiring more than it's firing; Mad that's NOT a good problem to have w/ prime time for squirrel hunting w/ a dog right around the corner. EekerThe firing pin mark on the brass is VERY faint. Do you think it's a worn firing pin or possibly something else? Confused How can I tell what the problem is? Thanks for the help. Gary T.

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 491 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
It could be the hammer spring, a build up of dirt and debris or it could be the ammo. Are you using CCI stuff? If so try a different brand. Unless the gun is beat, I find the bulk of .22 LR misfires can be traced to dirt or ammo.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gary T:
Hey guys, I need some help w/ my +30 year old Ruger 10/22 in 22 LR. It is now misfiring more than it's firing; Mad that's NOT a good problem to have w/ prime time for squirrel hunting w/ a dog right around the corner. EekerThe firing pin mark on the brass is VERY faint. Do you think it's a worn firing pin or possibly something else? Confused How can I tell what the problem is? Thanks for the help. Gary T.

Like Westpac said, pull it all apart & do a complete cleaning Smiler

Posts: 2359 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gary -

Be sure to clean the extractor groove that is cut in the breech end of the barrel. This can fill up with burned powder and hinder extraction, possibly preventing full bolt closure as well.

You might want to check out RimfireCentral.com - the forum has lots of 10/22-specific info (some worthwhile...). There is a way of "pinning" your firing pin so that it is held in better proximity, and you should check the headspace on your bolt. These are explained in detail on the website.

Hope this helps!

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
1 shot has given you good advice. RimfireCentral.com has helped me with a number of 10/22 problems.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys, I'm GUILTY of making this problem more complicated than needed. Roll EyesTook the action apart, gave it a very thorough cleaning, put it back together, and then ran 3 magaines through it (3 different brands of ammo, including some cheapie stuff) as fast a I could pull the trigger, w/o a misfire. clap I really like the rimfirecentral website, although the name has changed (www.ruger22.com) and most of the gunsmithing areas are under construction. Looking forward to going squirrel hunting SOON. Big GrinThanks again, Gary T.

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 491 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote