6.5 -----.25 ???? Make up my mind
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Remington LA in a Rem kevlar stock. Standard 30-06. I also have ~~~~
Shilen XX CM in 6.5 #2
Shilen XX CM in .25
Prithy---- 6.5/06, 6.5 Swede
25 ?????25/06 AI ???? What do you think.
Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
6.5x65

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
6.5x65

Mike you just wanting to be different?

With the same capacity as the 6.5-06 what does it get you? Am I missing something? I always thought it was such a waste to have so much body taper. But, that's me blow everything out to minimum tapers.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I thought of the 6.5X284 as well but with a LA what does it gain you over a basic 6.5-06? Haven't run the numbers to see if a long throat would gain you much.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wild side says the 25-06 AI but, unless you are going with a single shot and a 28 inch barrel, I don't think its your best choice. I like the 6.5-06 of the choices you have listed. The 6.5-284 would be what I would build given the same circumstances.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Well, let's see. I have a 6.5x65 reamer but not a 6.5-06. And, the 65 will equal 6.5-06 velocities at lower pressure.

No reason not to as I see it.

Makes no difference to me what others build, as long as they enjoy it. The 6.5x284 shines in a long action as long as you throat it to take advantage of the longer magazine length. Its a popular round for good reason. Still, all peas in a pod. Pick one, and have fun.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
And, the 65 will equal 6.5-06 velocities at lower pressure.

Mike what am I missing? QL shows the 6.5-06 and 6.5x65 as having the same capacity. How will the 65 give same velocity at lower pressure?

Or should I coffee and go recheck QL?

OK had coffee relooked at QL they list the same gross but a 3-4gr increase net for the 65. However it is showing a case length of 2.794" for the 6.5-06. So my conclusion is I have no conclusion. Faulty data yields faulty conclusions.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I think Grenadier said it all!

IF I were building a 6.5 that would likely be the one.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BTW a mx weight 25 cal is 120 gr .max for 6.5 is 160 !! Nothing wrong with the 6.5x55 but if you need more got to 6.5x.284 .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Given the action in question, I would go with 6.5x284 Norma or a Swede just because ammo and components are available. They are both fine rounds.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3293 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
256 Newton. Similar to the 6.5/06 but with panache. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3784 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
See Gerard's comments in Reloading - '6.5x55 obturation ' !!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personlly I'd lean towards the 6.5mm over a 25

Simply because with 25's 120gr is as big as they get, and there are excellent selection of 264 bullets available.

I've been looking lately to build a 6.5x55 rifle, probably on a Rem700 action...

Mostly because my neighbor has been trying to get me to sell him my unmodified M38 Husqvarna Swede Mauser... (Which I use as a "Sloppy weather" rifle.)

And while it's an OK good shooter, I'm hesitant to sell the rifle to him mostly because of my rather large stock of 6.5x55 ammo for it
(I have 1200 rounds of factory boxed Norma hunting ammo somewhat more than that in Military ball ammo and even more CA headstamped Norma brass ammunition., and that doesn't even touch the Norma headstamped Federal boxed ammo...
He is offering me a decent price for the rifle, $350, but his offer on my supply of amo is insulting at best.

The hoard of Norma ammo I have alone has a retail value of several thousand dollars

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
I vote for the 25-06... without the AI... even Ackley thought his improved was overcapacity for the bore. I am so pleased with my 25-06, I don't even care if I am missing something better. LOL!!! tu2

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I'm afraid I find some difficulty working out exactly what the original question was - multiple question marks don't explain anything.

What do you want to do with this rifle?

What brand of rifle or action are you thinking of?

Are you thinking of converting the .30/06?

Posts: 5117 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
If I was leaning towards the 06 case. First I agree AI doesn't get you much in the 25 or 6.5. If I was wanting to shoot factory then it would be the 25-06. If I reloaded it would be the 6.5-06. The 6.5 lets you got lite on the bullet as well as heavy.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
6.5-06 is my vote. I have both of the others, 6.5-284 and 6.5x55, but I like my 6.5-06AI I have better just because it is a little different. I would not do the AI again, but the standard version would be great.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.30/06

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2173 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
I'm on the same page as Bill Leeper. Go with a .256 Newton. Take a walk on the wild side! Jamison, or whoever now owns the name, makes reasonably priced and properly headstamped brass. Or size and trim 25-06 or .270 Win brass. Dies are available (I bought a set on ebay for very little. Great ballistics, low recoil, very unique. Go for it.

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
Mannlicher Collectors Assn
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote