New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock dimensions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I looked at the photo attachment for the items that Mrs. Fisher is selling from Jerry Fisher's estate. There are 3 Rifles on there that are advertised for $30,000.00 each. I am not commenting on that.

Rather, a question. When a custom maker is making rifles on speculation, as I will assume those 3 rifles were for purposes of this discussion, (they could also be to show potential customers what is available, or for another purpose) , what set of stock measurements are used to build the speculation stock.

I presume that the barreled action is inlet to 1/2 the circumference of the barrel, and then measurements are taken from the center of the barrel outward for the nose, and length of comb and drop to the toe and heel. But what are those measurements. Is there a standard for those measurements and a standard length of pull?

Are there any back issues of the ACGG publication that deal with this standard stock measurement issue?

KJK

Posts: 692 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why do you assume the rifles were made "on speculation" ?

Posts: 798 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the assumption is for purposes of the discussion.

I have changed it to reflect that.

KJK

Posts: 692 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is, in actually very little flexibility in stock dimensions for "custom" bolt action rifle stocks. The drop at comb (1.25") is dictated by the bolt clearance and normally just clears the bolt. Length of Pull (13"-15 but probably 13.5-14.5") is generally set by the stock machining pattern used and can only be lengthened by adding a thicker recoil pad. Cast is not normally added to pre-machined stock patterns but sometimes a bit can be squeeked in with a thin buttplate. Drop at the heel (1.75-2.5") is the major variable. That is also set by most machining patterns.

If stocked is shaped from a blank the dimensions can allow for cast, DAH and LOP, bu not too many folks do that any more. In the case of the Fisher rifles, one could tell you, by the action type the DAC, about guess the DAH and the LOP would be in a predictable range.

There simply is not very much variation to be expected. Singe shot rifle stock generally offer much more dimensional variation determined by line of sight and the shooter's physical dimensions.

Most all the stock I built included some amount of cast-off and were shaped for off-hand shooting with drop measurements calculated by the sights. While not universal they reflect the shooting style and type of sights incorporated.
I'd guess the Fisher stocks to be 1.25" X 2.5" X 14" and I'd bet they were within 1/4" on each.
Because two of the stocks were built for iron sights I'd expect them to have slightly higher drop dimensions.

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1825 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote