New
Find
Notify
Tools

Taylor & Robbins
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Recently, I saw a custom Mauser made by a company called Taylor & Robbins. I also heard the name years back, but don't recall the context. Anyone know anything about the quality of their work? Stoney

Posts: 336 | Location: Central PA | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never done any research on Taylor & Robbins but have see reference to them as early as 1950. They were located in Rixford, Pennsylvania. Many of the rifles I have seen by them were heavy barrel varmint ones. I have examined one T&R rifle, the workmanship was above average for this time period.

After the war there were many former Sedgley employs that opened shops of their own. I don�t know if these two were with them or not.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Also made early benchrest rifles, very heavy barrels on 98 Mauser actions. Good reputation in the Northeast.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Taylor & Robbins made, in addition to rifles, some interesting accessories. Among these was one of the early side-swing safties for the Mauser 98. The customer was required to send a complete bolt and trigger, and payment in advance. T&R would return the bolt with a replacement sleeve having the safety installed. In the 1960's these were $45. It was lot of mony for those times, and worth every cent.

Another useful T&R item was their "Throat and Bore Saver", an early cleaning rod guide. It fit the rod very tightly and usually had to be assembled on the rod.

Warren Page was a T&R client and wrote about their work.

Jim

Posts: 94 | Location: Upper Left Coast, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote