New
Find
Notify
Tools

m700/stock bedding
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
O.K. I got the magwell and other areas deburred, now how do I go about getting this action mounted properly in the synthetic stock.

I don't like the way it mounts, if you overtighten the front action screw, it protrudes into the locking lug recess, NOT COOL!!!!

Do I need to just glass bed, or should I pillar bed the action. I already have some stainless pillar tubes made up, they just need to be cut to length.

I just don't like to tackle something like this without asking for advice from someone who already figured it out.

T.I.A.

[ 11-19-2002, 20:28: Message edited by: TERRY8mm ]

Posts: 260 | Location: ky. | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TERRY8mm:
O.K. I got the magwell and other areas deburred, now how do I go about getting this action mounted properly in the synthetic stock.

I don't like the way it mounts, if you overtighten the front action screw, it protrudes into the locking lug recess, NOT COOL!!!!

Do I need to just glass bed, or should I pillar bed the action. I already have some stainless pillar tubes made up, they just need to be cut to length.

I just don't like to tackle something like this without asking for advice from someone who already figured it out.

T.I.A.

Terry, That bolt being too long is a common problem...shorten it and Brownells makes both fixed stainless pillars and adjustable ones already contoured to the 700 action....I like pillar bedding with glass bedding....let the surface of the pillars get a light film of glass to insure 100% contact and get a good 2-3inch pad under the barrel/recoil lug area but stay below the 1/2 way diameter of the barrel to let the barrel action self center....tape the bottom and front of the action lug to insure good rear surface contact without bottoming out and then trim the sides to allow slight adjustment of the lug in the glass while still having good rear surface contact...after bedding and letting it dry for a couple of days then you will need to play with the torque on the action screws...think about some hex socket/allen head screws and start at 45 INCH lbs and go up to 55INCH lbs for equal torque on the screws and make sure the barrel channel is open and clear of contact infront of the glass pad...this has worked for me....good luck and good shooting!!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used valve guides from a car engine for the pillars on the Winchester I did.

An engine rebuilder should have buckets of old valve guides around.

Posts: 968 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote