THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's the best way to clean scope lenses?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Would just like to know what people are using to clean their scope lenses with?

Lazo

Posts: 56 | Location: Melbourne | Registered: 26 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The best way to clean scope lenses is to do so only after making sure there is no dust, sand, or dirt on the lenses first. Use the following items:

1. A camera lens cleaning kit that consists of a lens cleaning cloth, lens cleaning solution, and a small lens dusting brush. These items are sold in large camera stores. The cleaning brush should have an air-blowing rubber bulb an one end that allows you to blow air on the lenses to remove dust, or you can use the built-in brush.

2. A Leupold or any other brand "Lenspen." This item looks like a large pen or marker, and has a small pad at one end, and a brush at the other end. There is a cap over the small pad. This cap contains a cleaning solution, and works much like an ink pad.

To clean the lenses: Remove any dust or foreign matter from the lenses with the brush first. Any dust on the lenses will scratch them when you wipe the glass surface with the lens cloth or cleaning pad. Then apply a little lens-cleaning solution on the lens cleaning cloth, and gently wipe the lenses with the cloth.

With the lens pen all you have to do is to remove any dust from the lenses with the brush, then remove the cap from the other end of the pen and wipe the glass in a circular motion.

Other than that, the best way to take care of the lenses is by using scope caps or something like that, and by cleaning the lenses only when needed. If there is only dust on the lenses, all you need to do is to brush/air clean them with a lens cleaning brush.

Any professional photographer can show you how to clean lenses.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
When in the field,I am a big convert to the Zeiss pre-moistened lens cleaning towelettes. They weigh nothing and work great. I keep them ratholed in all my backpacks,my rigs and in my boat.

When home,I like the Zeiss non-aerosol pump dispenser,that employs their cleaning solution. It is a convenient size and works great with lens paper or TP. SWFA markets an even smaller dispenser and the last order I got from Chris,had a couple of them in there(thanks again,Chris). I use the Kodak solution too,but much prefer the aforementioned pump type applicators.

I wish high end scopes,spotters and binoculars allowed the use of filters,to help protect the objective lenses.............

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I am a big fan of butler creek scope covers, they are spring loaded and thumb or finger operated so they pop open quickly. At home I usually use a glass cleaner and tissue paper. Remember the primary enemy of lenses is abrasive dust, so if they are dirty or dusty use enough cleaner or just plain water to flush all of the abrasive material off, then use the tissue to blot off the remaining liquid, then a light pass over the lense while you are looking at it in the light to get all of the spots off.

In the field I usually don't need to clean them because of the butler creek covers, but if it is rainy then I'll usually bring some tissue or even a paper towel, or just use my t shirt in a bind. If nobody is around and I did something dumb like drop it in the dirt or leaves I'll spit on the lense quite judiciously, actually drool is a closer term, and gently wipe it clean. But I save my thorough cleaning for when I'm back at home or camp.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob G
posted Hide Post
Be sure to never apply any lens cleaning solution of any kind directly to the lens. This can allow the liquid to seep around the lens pack and destroy the bond of the compound lenses. Always apply any solution lightly to a rag or lens cleaning cloth or tissue. Then us this to clean your lenses. Usually wipe from the center of the lens out to the edges, only after removing any dust or foreign matter from the lenses.

Posts: 239 | Location: North Smithfield, RI USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I like to carry a can of "compresssed air" such as is used for cleaning electronic gear. I use it to clean the exterior, and blow the dust off the surface of lenses. Then I use the Lens pen such as is made by Leupold.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I agree with all the above. About the LensPen however, I use it now and then, it works but leaves some "smears" on the lens, so that I ultimately resort to lens cleaning solution to remove the latter.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
<David Boren>
posted
Leupold or similar lens pen!

one of us
posted Hide Post
If the scope costs as much as the rifle, send it back to the factory after each hunting season. They will do it for a minimal charge (if not for free) and you know it was done right.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Godd to see folks have gotten educated on lens cleaning, though you never want to use TP on lenses as it's too coarse (believe it or not) and can scratch.

Brad

<Eric>
posted
Bausch & Lomb Sight savers. Available at your local discount store, will not scratch, marr, or otherwise hurt your lenses. good for you glasses too!

Regards,

Eric [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]