THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Who is the best at reboring small bore .243 to..264

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who is the best at reboring small bore .243 to..264
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I.have a Ruger 77 tang safety with sites in 243 win .I want it rebored to 260 Remington .Who.is best for this job .I.shoot mostly 155 grain bullets in it so I.need 1 in 8 twist I think.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
Its probably far cheaper, faster and easier to just re-barrel it to what you want.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1964 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At this point, Classic Barrel and Gunworks, Dan Pedersen, seems like the only reputable option.

Clearwater is gone, as far as I know, with the passing of Jim Dubell, and JES seems to have a few issues, though those appear specific to .35 cal.

A rebarrel is probably the surest bet, but I understand wanting to keep original contour and finish.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I 2nd the Danny Pederson recommendation. Great guy, solid work, but it may take awhile.

I also agree that re-barreling is likely a better option even though it probably won't be cheaper. Barrels run $180-$400, install will cost $250-$350, Sight install and bluing will run around $100. Last time I checked re-boring and chambering is about $350. You're still left with a $20 factory hammer-forged barrel though.

Posts: 581 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As as far as I know JES doesn't do anything smaller than 35 caliber.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
E.R. Shaw can rebarrel it very cheap, but I hear accuracy and bore finish can be poor, on average, compared to other barrel makers.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3291 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Old, cut rifled barrels respond well to reboring. The Ruger 77s I type were barreled with a variety of button rifled barrels. The boring out process, followed by imparting cut-rifling, can only improve things. Good luck, and enjoy your new/old rifle.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sell that 243 as it is and buy a 264 now. Also a 264 will not fit in a short action 243 rifle.

That will be much faster and less expensive.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is one for sale for about $650.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/631400179

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Savage_99:
Sell that 243 as it is and buy a 264 now. Also a 264 will not fit in a short action 243 rifle.

That will be much faster and less expensive.

Unless my old eyes deceive me, he is talking about a .260 Remington, not a .264 Winchester.

As far as Dan Pederson is concerned, he CAN be a "little slow". I sent him a BRNO 600 action to be barreled to .425 WR in 2010. About a year later, I visited him in his shop and he showed me the action, saying that it was at the front of his line.

He has long since ceased communicating with me, will not return my phone calls or emails and refuses even to respond to my letters, in the last of which I offered to forget about the WR (which I have since had built elsewhere), and barrel the action instead in 6.5X64 RWS. Even intercession by his friend Lon Paul has netted nothing.

I guess I am out one action and somewhat wiser in the bargain.

one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgr416:
I.have a Ruger 77 tang safety with sites in 243 win .I want it rebored to 260 Remington .Who.is best for this job .I.shoot mostly 155 grain bullets in it so I.need 1 in 8 twist I think.

Danny Pedersen-Prescott, AZ

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A while back I called Pedersen re a rebore I wanted to have done. Called three times, in fact. Left my name and # each time. Never got a call back and doubt that I ever will. Tells a guy somethin', don't it ?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote