Notify
Tools

Bolt Question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of kongy
posted
Hi guys I wonder if you could help me.

I would like a fluted or jewelled bolt for my PSS. I know if I was in the USA I could just order a complete bolt or send mine away and get it back fluted in no time. Over here in the UK it's a bit more, heck no it's a lot more difficult.

What I need is someone to sell me a fluted bolt body only, maybe even with a custom knob that could be posted to the UK that I could then put my firing pin etc in.

Is this possible or am I dreaming? would this be considered a a firearm even without a firing pin fitted? what would be the cost?

Thanks for your help in advance guys

"The ones who wish to fight, well, we aim to please"
Lt. Col. Tim Collins, commander of the 1st Battalion of the Royal Irish

Posts: 90 | Location: England | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jewelling is a simple operation, but boring, on a milling machine with an indexer. Straight fluting is also easily done on a mill.
You might post the same question on the benchrest.com gunsmithing board. There are 'smiths there that build rifles for Brits and shoot in England, occassionally.

One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
You have a few options, you can have the bolt sleeved, which can help with accuracy as well (this will require that the bolt bore be opened slightly as well). Your other option is to have a local machinist finish and jewell your present bolt. You will need to buy a bolt from a registered importer in the UK, it is not legal for someone to send firearm parts across the pond otherwise.

Changing th bolt will require the lugs to be fit and the headspace reset. The least costly option would be to have your existing bolt jeweled.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
If you look on Midway's or Brownell's sites, you will find bolt jewelling jigs, tools and compounds to jewel your own bolt. After you get the tools all it takes is a drill press. I don't think there would be any import restrictions on the tools themselves. In the long run, it would cost you less unless you find someone in the UK that already has the equipment.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of kongy
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.
I guess having my bolt milled and a new knob fitted is going to be easier than buying one from Dave Kiff and having to get a smith here to reset the headspace etc. I will have to reproof the rifle what ever I do

Thanks again guys

One of Us
posted Hide Post
kongy- there is a web site that might help you out. Don't know but check out Twistedbarrel.com
and good luck.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of kongy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Twistedbarrel.com

Fantastic thanks