New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hearing protection
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Diminished hearing as we know is somewhat of a badge for older shooters. Well I just returned from the hearing doctor with not really unanticipated news. Hearing in my right ear is borderline while my left is considerably impaired. This is permanent, non-reversable loss. About ten years ago I began being more particular about using hearing protection but as the big bulky muffs were always a bother I usually use in-the-ear plugs. No doubt it's helped but the doc's were surprised that my "bone conduction" hearing is almost totally gone. In case you don't know, much sound is transmitted by the bone around and particularly behind your ear - hence the big bulky muffs!
I'm shopping today for a pair of the newer electronic muffs. Don't try to be a tough guy or deny that shooting (or using the lawnmower or chainsaw) will do serious harm. Don't be fooled by "I'm only going to shoot a couple shots..." and neglect those muffs. You've been warned. If you insist on being as stupid as I have for thirty years you will regret it!

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I agree 150%. I'm to the point I need hearing aids.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amen from another OF. (Old Fart). My wife always drives because I shoot left handed and can't hear in my right ear. I'd sure like to find some muffs that are flatter and don't bang on the stock.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hearing in my right ear is borderline while my left is considerably impaired.

DITTO - You must be right handed.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I discovered I had hearing loss within a narrow range many years ago. Since then, I wear my remington muffs even when cutting the grass, leaf blowing, etc. At the range, I wear the ear plugs and muffs. Mostly I double up because the muffs don't seal too well with glasses. And, whenever there is a cease fire I tend to lift the muffs and then forget to put them back down when the cease fire is called off. A little added protection. All this from loud music and shooting a brick of .22 ammo a weekend as a kid. Luckily I caught it early on.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What?

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
DITTO - You must be right handed

Same here. I shoot right handed. I'm down to 60% on the left 80 on the right.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
been around drilling rigs and other heavy equipment for yrs and along with almost daily use of my Sthils and firearms I too have paid the price-terrible thing having to say huhh? say that again- you youngster take heed.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
eh, whats that you say?? I think i'm deaf in one ear and can't hear out of the other

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Same hear, I mean here.

I shoot right handed, and I have almost no high frequency hearing in the left ear and very little in the right. The audiogram shows a very dramatic (about 60 decibel) fall off above 1500 cycles, or the middle of the speech range.

When I first noticed ringing 20 years ago I asked an ENT guy about hearing aids that had a cut off for loud noise to use when I hunted, he did not think they worked. Those have since been improved, and I ahve used them for bird shooting and weekend noise for about 6 years. There are several companies that make them, I use the ESP brand. For bench shooting plugs or muffs work, but for hunting the electronic in the ear devices are the best I have found. They work in all weather, but take some getting used to when walking for birds.

There are a lot less expensive than the digital hearing aids I need to hear my grandchildren, or to listen to the birds or rain. I wish I had started to use them 50 years ago.

I bought my son a set for Christmas after I found how well they work. I will never shoot or hunt without eye and ear protection again.

Roger

Posts: 254 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
I'm not quite a quarter of a century old yet and I already have a hard time hearing things. Too many years of listening to Nirvana wearing headphones with the volume up on ten and too many afternoons spent busting clays with ported duck guns has damaged my ears. I now wear hearing protection when running power tools, around loud engines, definitely when shooting guns. A pair of light, electronic hearing protectors for hunting on are the drawing board, but as little as I've hunted in the passed two years, they'll likely stay on the backburner for a bit longer.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A lot of mowing hay, baling hay, chopping corn without tractor cabs and then shooting a lot of ammo without ear protection will cause you to pay a price for diminished hearing down the road!! BTDT!! NO ONE SHOOTS AT MY RANGE OR IN MY PRESENCE without ear protection!! ......if they don't have it, I provide it!! Personally, I use a set of foam earplugs and muffs also! Doubling the safety factor to preserve the hearing I still have! EAR PROTECTION..........DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogerR:
I use the ESP brand..... for hunting the electronic in the ear devices are the best I have found. They work in all weather, but take some getting used to when walking for birds...Roger

Roger glad to hear that you are enjoying your ESPs.

If anyone is interested in some of the ESP in the ear hearing protection, either analog or digital. I can get you fixed up with a pair. I have been doing the custom ear protection items for about 11 years.

Keith

ps: I did not sell Roger his pair.

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this but well done for raising this unpopular subject so others can learn from it.

My pet hate are the gun rags. I feel it should be against the law to show picture of hunters with rifles in the aim without ear protection visible - the fashion starts there. The day Boddington poses for a photo with electronic plugs or muffs will be the day that the public takes it a bit more seriously.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Years of shooting, working in industry, aircraft engines, the usual stuff have left me in with significant hearing loss. Last year I got two hearing aids (first time for me) and they really help. I'd suggest that if you are considering them that you definately look at the style that allows normal sounds to enter the ear canal AND also amplify sounds. My daughter in law is an Audiologist and fixed me up with a pair that are preprogrammed for the frequencies that I need to have amplified.
A number of friends and relatives have had poor results with hearing aids. They all had units that plugged the ear canal. Those make your own voice sound weird, like you have your fingers in your ears. Definately look at the newer styles.
Just my opinions.

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
I've double protected since the beginning, and I work in a hearing conservation mandated job. Physicals every three years show no loss. It is worth the bother, definitely!

More to the point for us shooters, I found out I flinch for noise far more than for recoil, and I shoot 'em up to a .416 Rigby.

Oddly, 'cause I've never heard anyone else say it, when I am working in hearing protection I can work too hard. Something to think about...

BNagel

Posts: 4884 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All good points raised. So far, I've managed to get by without a hearing aid bur there's probably one in my future. I attribute part of my hearing loss to the aging process -- I'll be 76 in a couple of weeks -- but think most of it was courtesy of the US Army. I started out as a rifle instructor, then spent a short time with 105 Hows, and finally as CO of a 75mm Skysweeper battery. In all that time I never saw a single person with ear protection! It was considered wimpy. I sure hope that has changed.

Bud W

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What WHAT are they saying ??. Who is saying what ?. I can't hear a dam thing . HUH . Ha Ha .

Like eyes you only get one pair take care of what you have the best way you can !!!.

Shoot Straight Know your target ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a high freq loss but after 42 years around aircraft and shooting, I blame it on my time in the army. No hearing protection except some cotton when shooting the bazooka. Even 100 yd's away, they would hurt your ears.
I wear protection for everything except a shot on deer, nothing compared to the army.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote