New
Find
Notify
Tools

Length of Pull Question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Why do shotguns have a longer LOP than rifles? I know there may be a really obvious answer (like you aim a rifle and you point a shotgun) but I am looking for a more understandable answer.

All my rifles fit at about 13 5/8s All my shotguns are closer to 15.

Posts: 93 | Location: san antonio, texas | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
Kynadog...

There are at least three stock measurements that differ between rifles and shotguns that yield the longer LOP on shotguns. While specific measurements to the individual will certainly vary if a custom stock is being made, let's assume "off the rack" guns in both cases.

The first is the grip shape. The shotgun grip is more "open". The measurement from middle of trigger to leading edge of the grip is typically about 3 1/2" on a rifle.......4" or better on a shotgun. An open grip allows the gun to be mounted quicker, and positions the grip hand as if it's "pointing" as the gun is raised to the shoulder.

Second is the pitch of the stock. That's the angle of the butt pad to the stock. On a rifle the desired angle is enough to hold the gun comfortably on the shoulder when the barrel is horizontal to the ground. It basically defines the curve of the chest area when the gun is held in the pocket of the shoulder. Shotguns have less "down pitch" to provide the same contact with the shoulder pocket when the gun is elevated for shooting birds in the air.

Typically in conjunction with the pitch is a corresponding longer length of the stock from grip to butt pad. Shooting at an elevated angle can utilize, or sometimes require, a bit longer length in that area because of the cheek to shoulder distance when shooting at birds. The aforementioned pitch keeps the heel of the stock from hanging up on the longer length butt.

In short......the grip is longer, the stock from grip to butt is longer, and the butt pad is at a lesser angle than a rifle. All because a shotgun is typically used to shoot at elevated postions......and the stock is changed to match the anatomy when a gun is so positioned.

I have few off the rack guns....the differences in those rifles and shotguns are from less than an inch to 1.5 inches. The Benelli Nova pump I have has the closest grip of any shotgun I own. It's trigger to grip is 3.75", LOP is 14". And it doesn't point very well for me.

GV

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ask the manufacurers they chang as the stature of the human changes. The human man has grown in adverage height considerable in the last 100yrs. I think they think people wear more clothes when using a rifle than a shotgun,plus the designs are different . vangunsmith

Posts: 42 | Location: Northern. Calif. | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pre-war rifle stocks had a longer LOP, and current European ones do as well.

American scope rings mount on the tube (less expensive) instead of around the objective. This pushes the scope forward about an inch, reducing eye relief.

I believe the American trend toward a slightly shorter LOP developed as a result of the US post-war scope industry. Take that optical instrument off (or use Euro rings) and you can enjoy a nice long (comfortable) LOP. Big Grin

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Simply put, when most people mount a shotgun, they lay their cheek bone against their stock, and lean their head forward to get their eye low enough to use as a rear sight.

When shooting a rifle, the cheek bone goes on top of the comb, so the eye is high enough to see through the sights or scope.

The head is tilted farther forward in the shotgun mount, which puts your nose closer to the wrist of the gun. To keep it (your nose) off your thumb during recoil, the stock needs to be longer. JMO, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
My thought is that measurements on shotguns seems more critical than on rifles.. The shotgun is often used for "quick point" shooting, while the rifleshooter has more time to shoulder it with care..
I have changed both my rifles and shotguns to the same LOP. That is what I found logical.. So that all of them is approximatly the same. But I`m no expert..

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote