New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jewell or Timney trigger for Sako M-75
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone know if Jewell or Timney makes a trigger for the Sako M-75 action. I've been searching the net and can't find much on the Jewell's, I was only able to find info on a Timney for the older 'L' series actions for the Sako's.

Thanks for any info--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is the only one Timney makes:

http://www.cliffsgunsmithing.com/Catalog_Tim_SAKO.htm

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jewell, sadly, does not make a trigger for any Sako (I'm sticking my head out here, but I believe that is correct).

The Timneys are serviceable, although I don't know if the model I have seen would have fit a M75?? I'm also not convinced the Timneys are any better than the Sako factory triggers?? I hasten to say, that I have never owned a M75, but of all my other Sakos (L461, AI, A5), I don't see any advantage in switching to the Timney. The lower setting on the Timney is about equivalent to the lower setting on the Sako factory trigger, and the Sakos break very cleanly. Besides, the Timneys (at least the ones I have seen), have a safety, which would require the stock to be relieved more than what the factory trigger requires.

The only other after-market trigger I have heard of for a Sako is a Canjar. But getting one of those - or even just getting in touch with the company - appears to be somewhat akin to winning the National Lottery.

Sakos are not the best proposition as far as after-market triggers go, sadly.

- mike

P.S. I don't believe Jewell has a website. Use the search function here to find their phone number, though.

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fish:

Here are a couple of possibilities that you could explore.

The current Tikka and the Sako Finnfire use what is (I THINK) substantially the same trigger as the Sako 75, though without the capability of unlocking the bolt while keeping the safety catch engaged.

A while ago I saw a reference on the Sako forum at Rimfire Central - http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23 - about somebody named Kurt Westfall – or maybe it was Westall – selling Jewel Remington 700 triggers extensively modified to work in the Finnfire. Maybe they would also work in a 75? A search of this forum, or perhaps the Rimfire forum at Benchrest Central - http://www.benchrest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3 - should turn up his contact details.

Another possibility is that MT Guns – http://www.mtguns.com - sell a Barnard trigger made for the current Tikka. This is a three lever, target rifle type trigger capable of being adjusted – safely – to a fairly low let-off weight. Maybe this would also work in a Sako 75?

Of course they may be minor detail differences between models that would make these solutions impractical, but it wouldn’t cost you anything to ask.

Red

Posts: 160 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 26 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get a Sako match trigger, very nice and adjusts to a very light pull (check one out on a 6mmPPC Sako). Or a Madco trigger for the Sako, from Australia. Heard they are very good but a bit fiddly to install.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trepur:
Get a Sako match trigger, very nice and adjusts to a very light pull (check one out on a 6mmPPC Sako).

These are indeed very nice triggers. But I have never seen them offered for sale as an after-market item. You find them on various Sakos with L46, L461 and A1 actions (e.g. in .222 Rem, .22 PPC or 6mm PPC). But they are rare enough for the rifles on which they are mounted to demand premium prices. If I could buy one of these triggers, I'd do so in a heartbeat.

quote:
Or a Madco trigger for the Sako, from Australia. Heard they are very good but a bit fiddly to install.

Any further information on this??

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Get a Sako match trigger, very nice and adjusts to a very light pull (check one out on a 6mmPPC Sako).

These are indeed very nice triggers. But I have never seen them offered for sale as an after-market item. You find them on various Sakos with L46, L461 and A1 actions (e.g. in .222 Rem, .22 PPC or 6mm PPC). But they are rare enough for the rifles on which they are mounted to demand premium prices. If I could buy one of these triggers, I'd do so in a heartbeat.

This model trigger will not fit the Sako75, even if it was available as an after-market item. The general layout, the operation of the bolt lock, and the method of attachment to the receiver are all quite different.

As best I recall, when the Model 75 first came out, a set trigger, able to be adjusted down to a very low let-off weight, was an option available in practically all countries except the USA. (presumably Sako was not willing to run the risk of being sued for umpteen million dollars if some wally had an unintentional discharge) Maybe these are still obtainable, if one could get around the import issue, somehow.

Posts: 160 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 26 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redrover:
This model trigger will not fit the Sako75, even if it was available as an after-market item. The general layout, the operation of the bolt lock, and the method of attachment to the receiver are all quite different.

As best I recall, when the Model 75 first came out, a set trigger, able to be adjusted down to a very low let-off weight, was an option available in practically all countries except the USA. (presumably Sako was not willing to run the risk of being sued for umpteen million dollars if some wally had an unintentional discharge) Maybe these are still obtainable, if one could get around the import issue, somehow.

Very sensible feedback - I'm not aware of the technical details in a Sako75, but I have indeed only seen the target trigger on L46, L461, A1 (and other?) actions in this series.

I also seem to recall that the Sako 75 was offered with an optional set trigger. Probably a requirement for its sale in Central Europe??

I downloaded the Sako 75 Manual, and if you look (at least) in the German section, you'll find a reference to the optional, single set trigger. According to the manual, the regular trigger can be adjusted between 1-2 kg (1 kg = 2.2 lbs). The set trigger (in set mode)between 0.2-0.25kg. I wonder whether Sako will be willing to sell one of those triggers (only), though??

- mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
mho have a look at saubier.com. Search for maddco in the postings. There is a bit of real experience there with regard to the maddco trigger for the Sako (but that was an AI Sako being refered to not a 75 - don't know if a Maddco is made for a 75).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Sako 75 is now offered with an optional single set trigger, according to Beretta USA's 2005 catalog.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
mho have a look at saubier.com. Search for maddco in the postings. There is a bit of real experience there with regard to the maddco trigger for the Sako (but that was an AI Sako being refered to not a 75 - don't know if a Maddco is made for a 75).

Thanks for that trepur. I went over to saubier.com and found the post in question. This is what they had to say about the maddco trigger (copied without permission, hope I don't violate any copyright rules... I thought this might be useful to shooters in here as well):

quote:
The Maddco trigger came from Australia along with a McMillan stock for my Sako 17 Mach IV.
To put the whole episode into context I was trying to make my Sako a bit more refined in terms accuracy enhancement and was trying to get it set up really slick and first class into the bargain. I had visions of the stock inletting and finish being sweet and the whole exercise being a relatively simple method to achieve my desired result.

I say all that just so you know why I don't have the rifle, stock or trigger any more, it is not like there was a real issue with any part, the whole thing just did not work out as I hoped and was going to end up costing more money and not proivide me with what I wanted.

In a nutshell the stock inletting and finish was such that I would have been doing a lot of work to it to get it really first rate and that was work I just didn't have the enthusiasm to do. As such the trigger and stock went back.

Now to your question already !!

The Maddco trigger is a 3 lever deisgn and does not have any facility to use a safety at all. A stock set up for the factory Sako trigger will have a gap where the safety used to go.

I did fit the trigger up and gave it a try but never did shoot the rifle with it. The trigger is quite hand made looking and not a really classy looking piece of gear when compared to say a Jewell or something of that nature. That said it did do what it was supposed to do and provided a crisp and light pull weight.

I had a chance to look at a Jewell recently and the Maddco Sako trigger isn't quite in that league in my opinion. It was light and crisp when set up properly but it did not have that lovely sharp feel of the Jewell, rather it was just slightly mushy feeling to me. I guess if you set it up at say 6-8 ounces instead of as absolutely light as it would go (in the 20 ounce range) it may very well be a very nice trigger indeed.

I guess they do offer the only trigger that will adjust down to ounces for the Sako and if I happened to have a rifle that I really loved that was crying out for a better trigger I would use one.

They take a little fiddling to set up properly since there is a very small area on the trigger fixing screws that will allow the trigger to function at all. It is all to do with the angle that the upper lever on the trigger is presented to the cocking piece on the bolt. You need to twiddle the mounting/pivot screws to get the angle right so that the cocking piece doesn't just over ride the trigger or not actually load the trigger levers and function normally. It is not hard just fiddly and takes a little working out just what effect things are having to get it set up properly.

I can put you in touch with the gunsmith in Australia if you like, he highly likely has the trigger in stock still.

Bryce

The fact this trigger won't work with a safety probably rules it out for me. I have to have a safety on my rifles, to get them through the safety inspection required here in Switzerland (actually Canton Zurich).

- mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
The fact this trigger won't work with a safety probably rules it out for me. I have to have a safety on my rifles, to get them through the safety inspection required here in Switzerland (actually Canton Zurich).

- mike

Mike, does that rule apply to target rifles as well?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HP Shooter:
Mike, does that rule apply to target rifles as well?

If I want a safety certificate issued for these rifles, yes then it does. Why would I bother with a safety certificate?? We thankfully don't have gun registration (yet) here in Switzerland. That is great, but it is less practical when I decide to travel with my rifles to other countries. In that case, being able to provide an officially looking document with the serial number, make and caliber of the rifle is a great thing. Customs officers are normally happy campers when they see an officially looking paper Wink. Besides, if I did not have a safety certificate, I would strictly speaking not be allowed to use my target rifles to whack a fox on a cold winter night from a high seat...

- mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
My manual for my Sako 75 states that the set-trigger weight is between 7-9 oz and cannot be adjusted. The set feature is activated by pushing foward on the regular trigger. I've never liked this system. I feel it slows the lock time down so much that any accuracy benifits are countered by a lock time that seems very slow what with the kicker falling and hitting the trigger and then the trigger have to go backwards and then the sear releases,with respect to the Swiss, it sounds like something that belongs in a cookoo clock. My Sako 75 trigger is just over a pound. I polished the sear and its very nice but not perfect. It has too much over travel but there again I've read that Tubb's LIKES overtravel as the action of the trigger stopping short has a greater effect on the rifle than just the trigger being pulled through a longer overtravel distance. Someone will surly start to alter or work on 75 triggers to make them really adjustable for creep and overtravel and weight. Till then I'll just make do with the trigger thats on mine. FNMauser

Strike while the iron is hot! Look before you leap!He who hesitates is lost! Slow and steady wins the race! Time waits for no man! A stitch in time saves nine! Make hay while the sun shines! ect. ect.

Posts: 170 | Location: Kentucky U.S.A. " The land that is dark with blood" | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote