New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is this blank worth using for a stock?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've an opportunity to buy this blank. Do you think it'd make a decent stock, or should I go higher end and not waste all the money I'll pay a stockmaker for cutting on a piece of crap wood?

I'm thinking for a standard M98 Sporter in 7x57.

Posts: 1352 | Location: South Puget Sound, WA | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Grain flow looks good. What does the other side look like?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
As long as the other side looks as good it should make a nice stock. You don't have to break the bank on your blank to get a great stock.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2945 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both sides look virtually the same. Price is $150. It just seems like I should be paying more. I'm rob ably over thinking this.

Posts: 1352 | Location: South Puget Sound, WA | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd do it.

Posts: 179 | Location: South of Anchorage | Registered: 21 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Both sides look virtually the same. Price is $150. It just seems like I should be paying more. I'm rob ably over thinking this.

I'd buy it if I was in the market.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Seems like you get a little more bang for your buck when it comes to calaro. More figure and a little more work closeing up the grain (sometimes)...looks like a nice blank!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you opt to pass, let me know. I'd be pleased to pay $150 plus shipping for that stick of walnut.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Absolutely! It will make a nice stock once it is finished and oiled correctly with wet and dry sanding down to 600 grit. I think (personally) that the dull glowing oil finish on a standard grade wood gives a better feel for the wood than a higher grade wood with poyurehtene or epoxy finish.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11246 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srtrax:
Seems like you get a little more bang for your buck when it comes to calaro. More figure and a little more work closeing up the grain (sometimes)...looks like a nice blank!

Looks-wise you get WAY more for your money with claro. Having said that there is more to a stock than just looks.

Purists(guys like SDH and Chic Worthing) would most likely tell you that they like the look of European walnut over any claro. Not to put words into anyone's mouth.....

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stokes:
Price is $150. It just seems like I should be paying more.

You can always pay the seller more if it will make you feel better! Wink

P.S. I like the blank and I think it would be money well spent to turn it into a nice stock. It is most certainly not "crap wood"...

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I should have added, that blank will make a beautiful stock.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote