THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Speedlock Firing Pins...Are they worth the candle?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Speedlock Firing Pins...Are they worth the candle?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Owner of a Gunshop and gunsmithing business recommended these pins and springs for a 300H&H I am building. R2000 imported ($222 US) Major sticker shock!!!!

Anyone use these, Are they worth the price?

Thanx

Pete

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are they worth the price? Probably not. A hunting 300H&H is probably capable of 1moa. A titanium firing pin may or may not improve it to 7/8moa. If the rifle shoots 2moa a light pin won't make it shoot 1. In other words, there are many other things more important than the striker. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3763 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Pete,

The various retrofit, after-market items such as this are useful in purpose-built target rifles used on "square ranges".

In a hunting rifle I would be more concerned with reliable ignition, not with lock time. You are, after all, shooting minute of critter and not worried about fractions of minutes as noted above. Save your money, or put it into something that makes the rifle more effective or reliable.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Until you hit ranges of 500 yards or more you will not need a Speedlock setup. I don't have them on my hunting rifle, but my 1000 yard rig and my highpower rifle have them and need them. First your rifle needs to be as accurate as it can be before you need a new firing pin assembly.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input guys.

This 300H&H is going to be a long range plains rifle, and if I can get it to shoot 3/4 to 1 MOA as it stands I will be dead happy.

I just checked out the David Tubb website - the getup would cost R738 ($82 US) if I got it direct so I smell a rip-off even if the shop owner took a reasonable profit.

Cheers

pete

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote