New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser 98 I need help
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I want to purchase a military surplus large ring Mauser 98 action. I plan on buying one tomorrow at a gun show in town if any are available. My question is how do I indentify the large ring 98. I assume I will most likely have to buy the entire military surplus rifle. Thank you, Bryan

Posts: 583 | Location: keene, ky | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Look at the left side of the reciever, a large ring will have a step, where the receiver ring is larger.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
On your typical 98 action the front ring measures about 1.410" or so. Also, ensure you have a standard length 98 which is what you are probably after. Measure the triggerguard screw distance. They should be about 7 7/8" vs 7 5/8" for the intermediate length actions like the Yugo 48's and FN24's.

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is a large ring 98. Note how the ring is wider than the rear portion of the receiver, with the stock inletted to fit.

This is a small ring 98. Note how the receiver ring is the same width as the rear of the receiver, with the stock inletting flush.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bryan,

I don't mean to be patronizing, but If you don't know the difference by all means DON'T SPEND ANY $$$ THIS WEEKEND!

There are dozens upon dozens of 98s out there with prices ranging from around $50 to over $500. They were made by different countries for different countries.

Wait for the next gunshow and use the time to learn about the mausers out there, which ones are good for converting and why. You probably can also save some $$ by having a FFL order you one from one of the distributors.

If you don't heed that advice, try to get a VZ-24 or 98-22 made by the CZ factory in BRNO. Look closely for pitting especially near and under the wood line and don't pay more than $100 for it.

Best regards,

Dan M.

Posts: 179 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank all of you for the help. Dan is there a book and or reference material on the net that will help me educate myself? I will wait to buy until I gain more knowledge on the subject. I have worked in the machining, toolmaking trade for most of the past 25 years and I would like to build a rifle for myself. Again I thank everyone for the help. Bryan

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are various forums for Curio and Relic mausers, some hate people who modify them others are more accepting.

Soon you'll learn all types of things. Like how some Argentines were made in Germany, and some in South America. Persian (or Iranian) were also made in Czechoslovakia by BRNO. Turkish ones were mostly made in Turkey and have a large ring reciever with a smaller threaded barrel shank. "Bosnian" or "Croatian" is a nicer sounding name for a Yugoslavian gun so dont be misled. And there is about a million other things to learn. The main thing is dont get in a hurry as there were 100 million made and there will be more at the next gun show!!!.

www.surplusrifle.com is a neat place to start.

Posts: 510 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

I recommend "Mauser Bolt Rifles" by Ludwig Olson. I was in your shoes about 2 years ago. It was VERY helpful.

MKane160 aka BigDogMK

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Also, this is about the time someone tells you to just buy a production gun instead because by the time you get a new trigger, new barrel, new stock, etc etc you'll have spent that much.

FWIW I've got some parts in the mail to build a Mauser right now too

Posts: 510 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mkane & Crazy,
Thanks for the help. I will try to find the book.
Bryan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"The Mauser Bolt Actions (M91-M98)" by Jerry Kuhnhausen has a very good listing of actions, models, and mfgs. It gives dimensions of most all of the 91-98's along with a "desirability factor" for their use in building a custom rifle.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote