New
Find
Notify
Tools

re-barreling savage......
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
i have a savage 10fp in .308 that i am thinking on getting re-barreled/re-chambered to a Krieger 300 WSM. from what i've heard, the remington 700 action is the preferred action. what's wrong with the savage action? other than the bolt head, what else needs to be changed?

Posts: 211 | Location: MT | Registered: 24 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of milanuk
posted Hide Post
I dunno if the Remington is necessarily the best option anymore. Lots of people (myself included) have been less than satisfied w/ recent production rifles. I do however think that most gunsmiths are pretty comfortable w/ working on a Remington, so that might factor in somehow.

As far as changing over the bolt head, yes, I think that's all that needs to be done. I don't have a Savage myself, so I can't say for sure. I am looking at doing a project myself later this year involving a Savage 12BVSS-S, so I'm hoping that all I need to do is just headspace the new barrel and call it good.

Good luck,

Monte

Posts: 341 | Location: Wenatchee, WA | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It seems like I remenber that you couldn't place a WSM Savage barrel on a standard receiver--the changed shank diameter I think. This may not be an issue when using a Kreiger threaded for a standard action however. I'm reaching here bur its worth looking into.
As for Savage actions in general, if you don't mind the looks of them (and I don't for some applications) they have been my most consistantly accurate rifles, some amazingly so. The fact that you can easily instal/swap barrels, set headspace, change bolt heads etc at home is another plus to the action for some. I used to do it but find anymore that I'd just rather have another dedicated rifle....

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote