Find
Notify
Tools

welding screw holes
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of x-51
posted
Hello everyone. I have a Ceskosolovenska Zbrojovka BRNO 98 mauser that has two screw holes boogered up on the rear bridge on the right side. Probably for a receiver sight I suppose. Im considering having a local pro welder fill them in and maybe putting a sight back on the rifle. Could a brass piece be made to go behind the screw holes to prevent the weld from protuding too far into the action?

Posts: 128 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 15 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A piece of copper would work better. Be advised that once you weld up the holes and reblue the area, the weld will probably show up as a different color.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of x-51
posted Hide Post
I had read that the colors would be different and thats part of the reason I thought Id put a receiver sight on it.

Posts: 128 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 15 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used plug screws to act as a floor for the weld. Screw it in below flush and weld on top of it. As for color of the blued finish, try to use a rod that matches the receiver's composition. Brownell's sells a 3% nickel rod for the purpose. I don't know what will happen on your action. I have used it on a Winchester M-12; it was a good match.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Your brass or copper Dam idea is what I've used. The rod I use always bules evenly to match the base metal. It depends on the rod you use.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Welding up the holes shouldn't be a big problem, I have welded up quite a few. But, the only rod that I have found to blue exactly like the rest of the action is called "Tartan G" it is made by Rockmount Nassau. The rod is designed for use on gunsteel. Do not use the rods brownells sells, they are absolute junk!

Chad