New
Find
Notify
Tools

Early Rem 700 questions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Yesterday I acquired another Rem 700.Seems to be a very early model. Has the short bolt plug,square safety lever button and checkered aluminium buttplate.It does not have the square cutout in the rear bridge like a couple of early 700 long actions I've seen.It's an ADL with real nice piece of wood.Left side of the barrel is stamped "9 k n 64"(1964?).Serial number is 213XXX and it's 22-250,which was introduced in 1965(?).Could it be one of the first 22-250's built.....in '64? Just curious and wondering if anyone has any knowledge to share. I emailed Remington but I don't expect a reply for a few days...if at all.This thing is a real beauty,probably 90%+.

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Gary Rihn>
posted
rembo-

According to my info, your rifle was built in May 1966.

Yes, a very early model 22-250. Nice find. Hope it's a shooter for you!

<Tharyl>
posted
rembo,

I am replying because of your statement that you acquired "another" Model 700. I want to make it known that the Model 700 trigger mechanism (Walker trigger) has an inherent fatal flaw. Mr. Walker himself said that the trigger had no business on a hunting rifle. It was designed for a target rifle that would be used in a controlled environment. My son took a M700 hunting and had an accidental discharge. We did extensive research into the trigger and M700 and this trigger having a design flaw is a FACT. You said that you e-mailed Remington and I wanted to tell you this because I am sure they won't because they have known this for 50 years and haven't told anyone. Please put aftermarket triggers on all of your M700s to ensure your safety and the safety of those around you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Appreciate the concern, however I'm fully aware of the shortcomings of the 700 trigger design. If they are properly adjusted and maintained they are fine.One of my 700's wears a Shilen trigger.The main problem with the Remington trigger IMHO is poor adjustment(not enough sear engagement is usually the culprit),poor maintenance,dirt in the trigger etc,and idiots who pull the trigger when the safety is "ON", to "test" it and morons who point rifles where they shouldn't be pointed.I have adjusted over 20 Model 700/722/600 triggers(all my own) and have NEVER had an AD.Although I do think that the Model 70 trigger is safer for most people.Pretty hard to screwup one of these.

[This message has been edited by rembo (edited 04-18-2002).]

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote