New
Find
Notify
Tools

FN Commercial Mauser Rifle Serial # 672
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking at an FN Mauser Serial # 672.

It is a C type commercial Mauser.

The seller described it as a "transition" rifle because the stock is inlet for a stripper clip, but the action is not.

It has claw mounts with a German made scope with rails.

The rifle is in pristine condition in 30-06 caliber.

I hope I haven't butchered the way to describe the Mauser action.

Can anyone give be a range of value for the rifle and any other info you think might be helpful. I am curious.

LRich

Hook em Horns

Posts: 335 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Is it possible some of the FN sporters after WWII were made up with military stocks refined to some extent?

Posts: 5095 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
no
But here is your answer; FN did not make Mausers during WW2, and started making sporters in 1947; With the receiver clip charging, thumb cut just like the pre war military Mausers FN made.
Then, in 1948, FN introduced the solid left wall receiver. I suspect they had stocks, in stock, (inventory) having the thumb cut, and used them on solid wall receivers. Yours is one of those. Yours is a standard, post war, FN commercial product; a picture will verify it as factory. But claw mounts are always cool.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe I may have seen the rifle you are speaking of. I have a almost identical rifle and my friend (from Austin) and I compared rifles a couple of years ago. Correct me if I wrong, but I remember that rifle as being solid wall, C-ring but with clip slot in rear receiver bridge with hump removed, with double claw mounts and scope.

Posts: 249 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Some good info has already been offered. Also, the stock may or may not be original to the metal. Without lots of photos, valuation is a big fat guess. For example: claw mounts can be a big positive or a big negative, depending on how they were added. As described, I'd say there's an 80% chance the value falls in the range of $300 - $3,000. Facetious but true.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 1935 FN c ring that I converted to a custom .338, its a great action comparable to a 1908 or pruvian, Chilean..These action if you can find them are quite expensive..

BTW, An FN (Fabrique National) is not a Mauser, its an FN. close but no ceegar. That always throughs folks off guard and starts aguements, but its a fact. Roll Eyes

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, of course they are totally of 98 Mauser Design; they got the plans and machinery as war reparations from WW1. If they aren't 98 Mausers, what are they? All the parts are totally interchangeable.
If you mean, not of Mauser AG manufacture, then, or course not.
No argument from me; FNs, like Polish, Czech, and Argentine, (etc) are duplicates of the original 98 Mauser. Even when FN went to the double broached bolt ways, they are still Mausers, with a slight mod.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
lRich- sounds like a very neat piece if indeed all original. Would love to see pictures if u end up with it.

I'm not an expert like some here but assuming it is original and the mounts are done well, I would think $750-800 would be fair. If you figure a nice all original FN deluxe is about $650, this should be more.

Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe the first solid walls were produced in 1947 with clip slots in the rear bridge. I have three with solid wall and clip clip slots and they are truely Paul Mauser's brain child in every respect other than origin.

Posts: 249 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 October 2011Reply With Quote