Find
Notify
Tools

ar 15 cycling prob
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bigbore50ak
posted
here is my problem, ive been shooting 50gr soft points backed with 24.5 gr of v133 i had no problems untill i loaded up a batch of molly now the ar wont function untill the clip gets atleast half empty (i use bushmaster 10rds) so do they make a lighter recoil spring? ive been thing about going to 55gr would the added waight help. also i use pmc brass so i dont get the capasity of the other companies so 24.5 is pretty much all the powder i can get in one depending on if its been trimed or not. thanks jason

Posts: 142 | Location: indiana | Registered: 24 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How is it not functioning correctly? Is it just not feeding from the magazine until the mag is half empty? If that's the only problem, try a new magazine. It your rounds are not cycling the action, you'll need to change your load.

Posts: 284 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 13 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention, you should check and clean your gas tube. I'm not sure, but the moly may have built up in the tube which would restrict cycling. I'm betting on the magazine being the culprit.

[ 08-04-2003, 19:45: Message edited by: hoss101 ]

Posts: 284 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 13 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BB50, your load of 24.5gr VV-133 is gust a starter load according to the VihtaVuori book(s/e '95) For N133 they list the following with a 50 grain Speer "TNT" bullet:
24.6gr@3113fpt to 26.2@3398fps

Test barrel was 25" with a 1:12" twist.

The extra resistance placed on the bolt carrier by the full magazine might be enough to not let the action cycle normally. That would explain why it works when the mag. is 1/2 empty. Moreover, the molly bullets are(if what they claim is true)probably lowering pressures further. Sounds like more experimentation is in order.

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote