New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tang safetys
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone seen, or heard of, a tang safety conversion for a Mauser?

Posts: 432 | Location: Baytown, TX | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I've seen MANY tang safeties on Mauser sporters in Germany! I believe these were made and installed by individual gunsmiths when they built sporting rifles from military actions. I know of no such gadgets being made for instalation, but suspect if you contact New England Custom Guns they could tell you if such an item is available, or who could make you one.

[ 11-20-2003, 16:45: Message edited by: eldeguello ]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Access this website, they can furnish you with a list of crafstmen members who will do this for you.

http://www.acgg.com/

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Both Mauser and Voere made post-war commercial 98's using a tang safety. The Mauser version also kept the bolt safety, the Voere didn't. The Mauser version used a Timney trigger and was contected with a paper clip to the safety, much like MkI Rugers. The Voere was a self-contained one piece unit. In each case the safey merely locked the trigger.

The best way is to install the sliding type that blocks movement of the sear, using an original Mauser trigger assembly. I believe Recknagel makes them and NECG can get them for you.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the really neat ones pop up the rear sight blade when you kick the safty off, nice gimmick and pretty but practical, probably not.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, folks. I wonder why we don't see more of them in the States...

Posts: 432 | Location: Baytown, TX | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The stock work required. Unless the safety is part of the receiver tang, as on the Ruger Mk I, you will have to inlet the wrist of the stock. Difficult for amateurs to do nicely, an added expense with the pros.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
have a tang safety on a Griffin & Howe Mauser made in 1939, original safety was retained.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote