Find
Notify
Tools

gunstock making
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of darwinmauser
posted
Hi all, can someone reccomend a book that details a step by step guide to making a gunstock, this would have to be available on amazon or somewhere similar as I live in Australia .

thanks guys

It's mercy, compassion and forgiveness I lack; not rationality.

Posts: 2414 | Location: Humpty Doo NT Australia | Registered: 18 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
THere are several that are good. I used "Gunsmithing" by Dunlop to get started with all wood and metal work. I like the way he explains stock making the best and would still prefer it for my first stock instructions. Actually, I am teaching a young man how to make guns in a few months and I gave him some books to read before we hit the shop. I told him to focus on "Gunsmithing" and he told me last week that he liked it as an "all-around" book on gunmaking.

"Stockmaking" by Linden is good.

"Professional Stockmaking" by Wesbrook is good for shaping, sanding, and finishing, but he does not explain abput laying out a stock from a blank. He starts with a turned stock. I think people should definitely make their first stock from the blank so they have a better understanding of what is required to make a good stock.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of darwinmauser
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mark. thumb

It's mercy, compassion and forgiveness I lack; not rationality.

Posts: 2414 | Location: Humpty Doo NT Australia | Registered: 18 August 2004Reply With Quote