New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why Yugo action not popular
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Why is the Model 1924 or M24 Yugo not more popular for custom rifles.

I read comments like, "on a custom rifle it would still be just a Yugo action".It's like the Yugo is some what looked down on as a custom rifle action.

I've looked at a couple of 24/47s and a Model 1924 Yugo and they seem to be as nicely machined and smooth as my 1910 Mex. But the 1910 Mex considered a very good action for a custom rifle.

I would think that for an intermediate length cartridge like a .257 Roberts,7x57 or 6.5x55 and such, the Yugo would be more popular.

The 1910 Mex is small ring but they weigh almost exactly the same.

Am I missing something here what?

Allen

It's a Mauser thing, you wouldn't understand.

Posts: 656 | Location: North of Prescott AZ | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Many superb customs have been built on various yugo 24 actions. I remember one that Tom Burgess did.

When most people bemoan the Yugo actions it is the 48 series that are speaking about. Others erroneously interpret that to mean all Yugo actions. And some just can't figure out the difference between the intermediate and standard yugo actions for sale.

The Mexican SR 98's are sought after because like all SR Mauser actions they can be built into a trimmer overall package despite weight being the same. The stock can be trimmer, the barrel of a slimmer profile without looking out of place, etc. The result is a lighter rifle despite actions weigh more or less the same.

Probably the single biggest factor weighing against the intermediate yugo actions is that most people want a drop-in stock which few makers offer. Not an issue if you are having a custom made but the majority of Mausers are probably still built by do it yerselfers.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always thought the yugos I looked at were pretty nice too.

For a 6.5x55 project, I wonder how "experts" would compare them to a standard length Turk K.Kale action? Just curious.

Are yugos large barrel shank?

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
All the intermediate yugos have LR threads.

I'd rate the Various M24's above the K.Kale and the M48's either on par with or below the K.Kale depending on the individual action. On the whole, the lowly K.Kale tends to be truer than the M48.

If I had a Yugo 24 and a Turk K.Kale I'd use the better of the two actions.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike, thanks that was a very well put and understandable explanation.I feel much more comfortable now using a good Model 1924 or even 24/47 Yugo action now.

I have been trying to figure this out as I am getting all my parts together for a custom 6.5x55.

I really didn't want to have to use a standard Mauser action since it is a bit longer than necessary. I found a nice Model 1924 Yugo that I will see if its still there.

I understand about making a slim and over all light rifle on a 1910 Mex. That's why my wife ended up getting mine for her 7x57!

Allen

Posts: 656 | Location: North of Prescott AZ | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yugos appear to be well made and it is obvious a good deal of skill was used manufacuring them.

The problem with Yugos is in the design. Other 98 Mausers have a small extension or nub of metal on the left side of the bolt face opposing the extractor claw. This is to support the rim of the cartridge while the extractor is grasping the opposite side while the bolt is in the unlocked position.

The Yugo has an extremely small nub of metal on the bolt face due to the bolt nose being enclosed by the breech. It is too easy for the cartridge to jump out of position during feeding or extraction.

True, this problem does not show up too often but it does happen occasionaly and that is too often for me.

Craftsman

Posts: 1540 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Craftsman:
Yugos appear to be well made and it is obvious a good deal of skill was used manufacuring them.

The problem with Yugos is in the design. Other 98 Mausers have a small extension or nub of metal on the left side of the bolt face opposing the extractor claw. This is to support the rim of the cartridge while the extractor is grasping the opposite side while the bolt is in the unlocked position.

The Yugo has an extremely small nub of metal on the bolt face due to the bolt nose being enclosed by the breech. It is too easy for the cartridge to jump out of position during feeding or extraction.

True, this problem does not show up too often but it does happen occasionaly and that is too often for me.

Another one of those oft repeated myths promulgated on the web. What you say is true at least as to the intent and function o fthe protrusions but in use I've never had a properly setup action ever misfeed due to the lack of these guides.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If this extraction "problem" was a worry is there a bolt from a different Mauser that would fit in a Model 1924 Yugo?
When re-barreling and customizing it?

Allen

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin The internet and other sources have produced a lot of bad press for the safety breeched Mauser system, (which is what we are talking about). Is it necessary? Of course not. Is it a safer breeching system? Probably, maybe, your guess is just as important here.

I personally haven't had a problem with feeding in any model that was safety breeched, but people ARE capable of trying to put something in a rifle they were NOT designed to handle. These rifles were built around the 57 mm case length as a battle rifle. They are the same length as a small ring pre-98 with all the 98 enhancements plus a couple of extras that some people do NOT like.

Posts: 220 | Location: SW Missouri USA | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine will be in 6.5x55.

This is the first I have heard of this "problem" or potential problem.

Just out of curiosity I have 2 questions:

1. Can the Yugo be converted to the M98 breaching system by using a different bolt when being re-barreled)?

2. If so which model bolt would I use (well give the gunsmith)?

Allen

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by James C Scott:
Big Grin The internet and other sources have produced a lot of bad press for the safety breeched Mauser system, (which is what we are talking about). Is it necessary? Of course not. Is it a safer breeching system? Probably, maybe, your guess is just as important here.

I personally haven't had a problem with feeding in any model that was safety breeched, but people ARE capable of trying to put something in a rifle they were NOT designed to handle. These rifles were built around the 57 mm case length as a battle rifle. They are the same length as a small ring pre-98 with all the 98 enhancements plus a couple of extras that some people do NOT like.

James, your post is spot on. Most of the issues that occur with Mausers and even to some extent model 70's are due to people trying to get the action to digest cartridges it is not properly setup to function with.

Mausers can and probably have been made to function with just about any cartrdige. However, very few posses the skill necessary to accomplish this. I'm constantly amazed at how many Mausers I run accross where the owner proclaims it feeds slick as butter through a goose. Yet when they try to feed the first round or last it requires a little jiggling of the bolt, etc.

Aut vincere aut mori

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The reason the Yugo Mausers are not popular with me is that they are shorter and harder to change to the 30-06 length of 3.34".

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9411043/m/861105007

I think I own one or two of the 24/47, but I think all I did was pull the barrel and drill and tap.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes but for me 'short' is a good thing as mine will be a 6.5x55.

Allen

one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
There are also some commercial mid length mausers. The Herters m-XK3 and the Westernfield (heym) 720 would make great donors for a 6.5x55 or any of the x57 rounds.

Weagle.

Posts: 737 | Location: atlanta ga | Registered: 11 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everyone seems to forget that there are a lot of commercial mausers made by the same factory as what made the Yugo model 1924 and M48s such as Mark Xs and the Charles Dalys and some of the Herters. The safety breach seems to work for the military.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote