THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Giving a trigger MORE weight to the pull.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted
I bought a sporterized 30-40 Krag that is an incredible shooter for a 112 year old rifle. Problem is the gunsmith who sporterized it was too good. The trigger is great for target work - smooth as glass and quite light on the pull. Problem is it is too light for hunting.

Anyone have any ideas to INCREASE the trigger pull? I was thinking three things. First, have the trigger parkerized hoping that would increase the pull weight. Two, buy a replacement Krag trigger from Numrich and have a gunsmith lighten and smooth it up to a reasonable (say 4 pound) pull. Three, buy a Huber "ball" trigger which is adjustable.

Opinions? Ideas?

Dave

Posts: 923 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about a heavier spring?

Mark Pursell

Posts: 544 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would start with getting a new spring from Numerich or some other vendor. I'm not familiar at all with the Krag trigger, but most military triggers are simple and have one spring. If the smith got the pull as light as you indicate, he probably put a lighter spring in. I did the same on my 1903, found a spring of right diameter/length but lighter wire to lighten the pull. Cheap and easy to do and if it doesn't work you can go with an aftermarket trigger.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
I'll take a look.

My 1903 has the opposite problem and it absolutely has an overly heavy spring. It has a brutal trigger pull.

Dave

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
how light is it?

Posts: 5708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
It definitely isn't the spring.

I'd say it is less than two pounds. Even on the bench I fired off a round by mistake before I was really ready to take the shot. It still went into the target, but way too light for hunting. It is an incredibly accurate gun for something made in 1900!

Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check Numrich, I'm pretty sure they still have stock trigger parts.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A7Dave:

I'd say it is less than two pounds. Even on the bench I fired off a round by mistake before I was really ready to take the shot.

If you are accidentally tripping the trigger before you are on target then you need to either develop a feel for the pull weight, or, remove your finger entirely until you are on target and breathing. In the mean time, do as Craigster suggested and put the trigger back to it's stock military configuration by replacing it.

A gunsmith may be able to add a couple more pounds to the trigger by manipulating a few things, but unless YOU are an experienced trigger guy, your cheapest and safest bet will be replacing it all with original stuff.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Along with other respondents, I suspect it IS the spring...folks often cut a coil or so off of them when reducing pull weight. But, it may also be a combination of the spring AND reduced sear engagement (which is often monkeyed with when reducing pull weight). A bit of angle change in the sear engagment can also reportedly lead to unexpected discharges.

At any rate, rather then rely on diagnoses by folks who can't see the gun and examine it closely, here is another suggestion...

Take or send it to your nearest full-time gunsmith and ask him what he thinks. It should cost very little to repair even if he installs a whole new original trigger assembly. It surely will cost less than an accident might, or than having a rifle that is unusable will.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A7Dave:

How did you determine that the spring is not the problem?

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote