THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who manufacturs and sells decent actions?
 Login/Join

<GAHUNTER>
posted
Now that you guys have effectively talked me out of building my 404 on the Remington Ultra Mag action that I already own, where do you suggest that I go to find a decent action for this project. I keep hearing that I should look for a Pre-64 Winchester in 7mm STW, but have you seen the price these rifles are fetching? I hate to start a custom job with $1000 just in the action. (I also hate to screw up an already fine rifle just for the action. There's something sacreligious about this)

What about a CZ 550 receiver? These can be had sans barrel and stock. Or what about the new Charles Daly receivers (probably too short)? Of course, I'd love to have an FN action of proper size, but where do you go to get it?

I need details, like what size action? Would a .416 Rigby action work for the Jeffery without major modification? CZ has one! I wish I had some drawings of the Jeffery case so I could decide some of these things for myself, but I don't, and can't find one on the Net. (I keep hearing that Norma has a drawing, but I have scoured thier site and could only come up with a reloading guide sans case drawings.)

Bottom line is I just want to pick up the phone and order the action. I don't want to launch a worldwide search which may or may not be successful, and then have to negotiate for it in the end.

Sorry if I sound frusrated, I am. Anytime I decide to do something in the way of a custom rifle, it seems like no move or purchase I make is the right one.

[This message has been edited by GAHUNTER (edited 04-02-2002).]

<JBelk>
posted
GAHUNTER�

The obvious BEST choice would be a Dakota. They�re made for the 404 case, have the proper magazine box and are assured to be not only a great action, but will also never be worth less than they are now.

By the time you find a pre-64 action, buy bottom metal for it and machine the action to feed (risky to the action) you�ll have about the same amount of money involved and a lot more time.

<MontanaMarine>
posted
http://www.prairiegunworks.com/id8.htm

Prarie Gun Works makes an excellent variety of actions for Hunting, tactical, target.

MM

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GAHUNTER:
Now that you guys have effectively talked me out of building my 404 on the Remington Ultra Mag action that I already own, where do you suggest that I go to find a decent action for this project. I keep hearing that I should look for a Pre-64 Winchester in 7mm STW, but have you seen the price these rifles are fetching? I hate to start a custom job with $1000 just in the action. (I also hate to screw up an already fine rifle just for the action. There's something sacreligious about this)

What about a CZ 550 receiver? These can be had sans barrel and stock. Or what about the new Charles Daly receivers (probably too short)? Of course, I'd love to have an FN action of proper size, but where do you go to get it?

I need details, like what size action? Would a .416 Rigby action work for the Jeffery without major modification? CZ has one! I wish I had some drawings of the Jeffery case so I could decide some of these things for myself, but I don't, and can't find one on the Net. (I keep hearing that Norma has a drawing, but I have scoured thier site and could only come up with a reloading guide sans case drawings.)

Bottom line is I just want to pick up the phone and order the action. I don't want to launch a worldwide search which may or may not be successful, and then have to negotiate for it in the end.

Sorry if I sound frusrated, I am. Anytime I decide to do something in the way of a custom rifle, it seems like no move or purchase I make is the right one.

[This message has been edited by GAHUNTER (edited 04-02-2002).]

Posts: 1478 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A purist would build a 404 jeffery on a commercial FN mauser action.

I would choose Ryan Breeding of California for the job. You will end up with a beautiful rifle that feeds flawlessly.

Of course, it will not be in the same price range as a Rem 700.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
give mike ruden a ring he makes m 98 actions double square bridge on cnc machinary top quality work action is $3000 price might seem high but once you have the action and rifle built it will pale in to insignificance the price that is
i promise you that i know
daniel

Posts: 1478 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
500 Grains�

You said-- � A purist would build a 404 jeffery on a commercial FN mauser action. �

I�m curious why you would say that.
The English used no FN actions. I think the 404 was discontinued before the commercial FN came on the market in 1948.

Jeffery made them on the Number 19 Orbendorf commercial Mauser actions.

Mauser made and sold complete �A� style rifles as the 10.75x73 in Europe.

[This message has been edited by JBelk (edited 04-03-2002).]

<coon>
posted
GAHunter,

Try montanarifleman.com

They are just starting to make actions in the CRF style. They won't have an action large enough for the .416 case until this Fall (Nov). I'm going to give them a try as their actions are 1/3 the price of a Dakota.

They are really nice guys to talk to and will send out info accordingly.

My plan is to build a 500 Jeffries of their largest action. They also make barrels.

Thanks,

Troy

one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
Dakota and Vektor are two of the best actions out there.

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about a used M-70 Classic in .300 Ultra mag and strip the barrel off it ? The magazine and rails should be nearly the correct dimentions , and you have a usable stock to start out with . There were a number of them at the last gun show at around $500 . I suppose people are getting tired of blowing out their ear drums and starting grass fires ..........

There sure is nothing wrong with the Dakota or a few of the other high grade actions , but I get the feeling you are not looking to spend that much money ?

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
<GAHUNTER>
posted
Coon,

Thanks for the tip on Montana Rifle Company. I contacted them today and they are sending me a quote on a drop-in barreled action reamed in 404 Jeffery. The bad news is the large magnum actions will not be ready until late this year at the earliest.

Sounds like they are just what the doctor ordered. Their actions drop right into a Winchester Model 70 Classic stock with very little modifications. When I get the quote, I'll decide on chrome-molly or stainless and order it (providing it's not out-of-sight pricewise).

<coon>
posted
GAHunter,

I think the choice would be worth seriously considering. My estimate is that with the action, barrel, chambering, and headspacing if you're a dealer would be around $600-$650. Like you said the only problem is the action wouldn't be out until end of the year. Let us know how it turns out...

Coon

one of us
posted Hide Post
M 98

Who/where is Mike Ruden?

GG

Posts: 500 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
<jthessen>
posted
FWIW, to find the 404 Jeffery drawing at www.norma.cc Click bullet "English" on the top left , then click bullet "Norma Library" You will find the jeffery amongst other things.

All the best

Jens

posted Hide Post
I beleive hes is refering to Mike Roden and Granite Mountain Arms. You can check out some pictures of thier actions at http://www.470mbogo.com/GMA.html

Posts: 17 | Location: Shelbyville, Ky. | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GAHUNTER, now that you don`t need that sorry ole Remington I will help you out by offering a fair price. E-Mail and we`ll chat. I have 2 reamers on the Remington 338 RUM and I need 1 more action.

Posts: 370 | Location: Memphis, TN. U.S.A. | Registered: 24 July 2000Reply With Quote
<coon>
posted
GaHunter,

I don't know if your interested. At the gun show in Tulsa this last weekend Champlin had 2 bolt actions in 404 jefferies. One was an FN for around $2,000 the other I cannot remember the make of or the price. Their number is (580) 237-7388

Troy