Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

stock Refinishing
 Login/Join

posted
I have a Remington walnut stock that I am refinishing. I'm gonna use TRU-OIL and was wondering if I need to use a stain first? Or will the TRU-OIL be best used without stain? I don't want a dark stock.

"I Ain't Gonna Eat No BOLOGNA!"

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you will find that it depends on what the stock looks like stripped. I think you will be fine without stain. Most folks, I believe, use it without stain, I do.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you don't want a dark stock don't stain it. Once you have removed the finish from the stock and are down to bare wood, wipe it down with mineral spirits. That will give you a pretty good idea of what the wood will look like finished without stain.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks yall! craigster thanks for the mineral spirits trick. My Grandpa was a painter. And he said the same thing and I told him this was rifle stock not an old shed. When I told him what you said he just laughed and asked how does that "CROW" taste? I guess you can't dismiss years of expierience!

"I Ain't Gonna Eat No BOLOGNA!"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're welcome and welcome to the forum. If you use the search function you'll find a wealth of information on finishing and refinishing stocks. Have fun.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote