Find
Notify
Tools

Joe Balickie
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted
Looked at a couple of rifles stocked by Joe and was curious about the stockmaker not having heard his name before. Did a search here and got plenty of info about his videos but nothing really on the man himself. I'd be interested in hearing what anyone has to say about his abilities, quality of his rifles, etc. Is he retired? Was he only a stockmaker? If so, who normally did he metalwork? Did he sign his work or how does one attribute his work to him. The rifles I looked at were really nice, excellent stocks and checkering was as tight and crisp as I've seen. Thanks.

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I met Joe at an NRA show maybe 20 years ago, about couldn't get away from him. One thing led to another and we probably talked 2 hours. Joe was from one of the Carolinas, not sure which. Little guy, knew his stuff. I heard he retired maybe 2-3 years ago. Bill

Posts: 111 | Location: Downs, Kansas | Registered: 16 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alvinmack
posted Hide Post
I know nothing about the guy personally other than the fact he mentored Sharon Dressel. I own his checkering video and I can tell you the content went above and beyond to educate the novest on some of the ins and outs of good checkering.

Posts: 448 | Location: Lino Lakes, MN | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joe...great guy, lots of energy, very talented. He developed a severe allergy to WALNUT! A bout with the big "C", told him it was time to hang it up. Last time I talked to him, he was headed to Texas with his wife, who had recently earned her retirement..Would like to hear from him if anyone is in touch

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Duane,

Did Joe do only wood? Who did his metal?

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw Joe and his wife last week at the Dixie Deer Classic in Raleigh, NC. They are retired and living in Apex, NC.
Rustystud

Posts: 322 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
prewar 70: I honestly don't know...I thought he only did wood...wuld love to hear from him.....

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane,

Any idea how Joe "signed" his work. Would the initials JB engraved on the metal denote one of his rifles?

Doug