New
Find
Notify
Tools

Converting M63 to .22 Mag
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Sitting in the wilds of Africa and thinking... I am very fond of My M60 S&W, but want something for the kids...

An M63 looks klike a fine training revolver, but would like something with a bit more power for some things... I owned a High Standard 'double 9' revolver when I was 8 and it served me exceeding well until I was 14 and could legally get a .357. .22LR for target, .22 mag for carry.

Would it be feasable to convert an M63 (or better stil A 317) to .22 mag - or preferably make up a spare cylender so one could shoot either?

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've never seen a revolver converted to 22 mag, usually they all came with the 2nd cylinder, and most didn't work to well with 22 lr's. the mag bullet is .224 and the lr .222, which made for some rather poor accuracy , other than that a 22 mag revolver is a lot of fun. somewhere i've got a 8" s&W in 22 mag, that's just like a pocket rifle

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had an F.N. 22 LR rifle that was reamed out to .22 mag at one time. Shot great. I am sure the bore wear would have been significantly higher but..2 thou? Match accuracy loss,yes, plinking accuracy no...brit .303 barrels I have measured varied between .309 and .318 for use with .311 Bullets...All shot good enough for government work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
why not just find a S&W mod 51 I love mine

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ah, didn't know Smith made one...it isn't on their web site. What length barrels are/were available?

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
I thought the 61 was that little .22 auto?

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Found it ==Model 51

http://s8-us2.startpage.com/do...6engine0%3Dalltheweb

Current production shows a J frame snubby .22mag

http://s8-us2.startpage.com/do...6engine0%3Dalltheweb

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sorry about that I didn't proof read hit the 6 and needed the 5 key -Model 51- mines a 4" blue rounded off square butt- adj.sights 22wmr. I read some where that Elmer Keith loved this little gun so I bought one-also got a Mod 48- 8&3/8" its the better shooter -love those old smiths -some years back smith factory would fit a 22lr cyl to the mod 53 I don't know about 51-48-models