New
Find
Notify
Tools

cost to ackley a gun
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What would you say is a reasonable price to Ackley Improve a remington 700 280.
I already have one and would like to improve another, and was wondering about what the going price was for this.

Posts: 358 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know a guy who does it for 40-50 bucks. But he is in PA, and the shipping each way will run the cost pretty high for you compared to getting it done in your local area.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
35 nut---

It usually runs $100 or so. The barrel MUST be turned back one thread to properly set headspace.

There's a LOT of guns with improved chambers that have been only rechambered....that's false economy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just inherited (don't ask how) a stainless Shilen #3 contour stainless barrel, 24", chambered for 280 Ackley Improved and fitted to a Remington 700. Owner said less than 200 rounds through it. Anyone interested? Fitted to your action and return shipped for $225.

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine had the idea to "improve" his 30/06 M 70 Featherweight. Because the barrel contour on those Featherweights is so thin over the breech he had the reamer just run in so now he is stuck with a odd ball wildcat.

I had the barrel set back on my JC Higgins Mauser so I can shoot regular 30/06's.

I wish I had never done it but I am glad I at least have the correct chambering.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote