New
Find
Notify
Tools

Early Marlin 39A Scope Mounting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have an early 1950s Marlin 39A 22lr lever action that belongs to my dad. His 70 year old eyes are having trouble with irons and he has requested a scope on top.

It has the 4 holes on the side of the barrel ahead of the receiver.
I know the old Weaver N2 and N3 mounts will work with the 3/4" tube scopes.
I was curious if I could get something more modern on board.

Anybody ever use the new Weaver #2 Side mount with the 1" rings?
I have a similar setup on my slug gun and its a hammer!

I am curious about excessive scope eye relief with the mount ahead of the receiver.

Any hands on information would be appreciated.

Posts: 168 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I'd be inclined to drill an tap the receiver in the same manner as the newer models. If it already has 4 holes in the side of the barrel it's not a pristine collector anyway and a good simple scope mount on top of receiver will make it that much better.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My dad bought this gun new as a kid and it's never been altered. The 4 barrel holes are factory I am sure. I guess Id.prefer not to drill and tap it if I can avoid it.

Posts: 168 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The early MArlin 39A that are D&T on the left side of the bbl just ahead of the frame were rifles made by MArlin for Sears Roebuck & Co.

Sears requested that the rifles be fitted for a 'scope, so MArlin complied with the bbl mounted Weaver scope in an N mount.
The rifle was sold with the 4 screw holes fitted with plug screws,,the Weaver scope and the separate N mount were packaged separately but inside the box the rifle came in.
This was done by MArlin to avoid paying the extra Fed Excise TAx on the value of the Scoped rifle as opposed to the iron sighted rifle. This was something Marlin continued to do through the next few decades to avoid a small amt od Excise Tax on each rifle w/scope sold.

The MArlin Model 39A sold by Sears w/the 'scope was an exclusive product when it first was offered.
No other outlet or retailer had Model 39A's with a factory mounted 'scope for sale.
That was the agreement betw Marlin & Sears.
I'm not sure when that exclusive arrangement came to an end and the 39A with the reciever top mounted scope (cantilever mount) came out as a standard offering.

Not sure if any of the modern mfg mounts will match the old hole spacing on those rifles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Golden Mounty 39A I used to use as a kid, had the base mounted on the top of the receiver. It was a Sears purchased rifle in the 70s I believe.
I always hated the barrel mounted bases. I haven't seen them available for a while. Someone somewhere must have one laying around though.
eBay maybe?

Posts: 117 | Location: Augusta, West Virginia | Registered: 30 August 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine (1946-47 IIRC) is tapped on the top of the action for a Weaver base and has a separate base on the barrel for the front mount. It came to me with a 2.5 power Bushnell 1" scope and a 1/2-5/8 inch group shot at 35 yds. The original owner was an avid squirrel hunter, and I can't imagine a much better combination...

Clarence

Posts: 303 | Location: Hill Country, TX | Registered: 26 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have replaced a couple of N mounts with 1" weaver QD side mounts. The hole spacing was the same. The only problems I see might be scope centering and eye relief.
C.G.B.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 257 Roberts:
My dad bought this gun new as a kid and it's never been altered. The 4 barrel holes are factory I am sure. I guess Id.prefer not to drill and tap it if I can avoid it.

Yes, it would be factory, not that your dad cares but Marlin collectors would be drooling over that one! I bet you could find the correct mount over on Marlinowners website. I don't know if you could go to a 1 inch. All I have ever seen on that set up was 3/4 inch.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
use the 3/4 mount and find yourself one of the old 3/4 redfield scopes

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Browmnells techs will measure hole spacing on a mount to check it for you..

The 2nd amendment to the constitution of the United States of America-
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Posts: 49 | Location: central Missouri | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote