New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage rimfire trigger
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is there anything I can do for the terrible trigger that comes with the Savage 93 17 hmr. The gun shoots pretty good groups, about an inch at 100 yards, but I think it is better than that cause the trigger is so terrible.

Posts: 231 | Location: Abbotsford, Wis. | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Look at Rifle Basix - some of their kits have a replacement sear which does the trick - they are helpful on the phone, too, you can also buy their stuff thru Brownells.

Posts: 159 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
You need to add a shim under the rear section of the trigger. As it comes from the factory it has so much sear engagement that it takes 2 men, a boy and a small pony to pull the trigger.
On http://www.savageshooters.com they used to have a sticky post on it but I think it's in the "Members Only" section now.
The procedure basically involves loosening the rear trigger screw and inserting a "U" shaped spacer (I cut mine from an old feeler gage)under it and reinstalling the screw. You can see the sear engagement on the savage 93 so you can judge the thickness you need. I'm pretty sure that I wound up using .017" of shim but that will vary for each different gun.

BE CAREFUL THAT YOU DO NOT REDUCE THE SEAR ENGAGEMENT SO MUCH THAT THE SEAR SLIPS WITH NORMAL USE.

Insert thin spacers and test the trigger and perform a drop test by bumping the butt of the rifle on the floor to check that it doesn't slip.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks, that sounds like a simple fix.

Posts: 23 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I did like you said and it helped a lot. Went from about 7 lb and a lot of creep to about 4 lb and hardly any creep. thanks

Posts: 23 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sharp Shooter Supply makes a replacement that's supposed to be fantastic, you can see it here:

http://www.savageshooters.net/sharpshooters/MT_Trigger.html

Posts: 53 | Location: West By God Virginia | Registered: 21 May 2004Reply With Quote