Find
Notify
Tools

Pre-64 M70 Supergrade question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted
Can someone please explain to me the difference between a standard grade pre-64 and a Supergrade pre-64 M70? On the newer M70's it is some upgraded features like fancier wood and inlet swivel bases. But on the pre-64 rifles the differences are all that apparent to me.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will try although I am not an expert. From the outset, the actions were all the same. The difference lies in the marking on the barrel and the recoil lug, the barrel was usually stampe "Super" with ( caliber) and date, which was standard on most earlier guns. The stocks had a type of inletted sling swivel arrangement and fancier checkering, a wrap-around pattern of a type, the wood was supposedly a better grade. I think the bolts were usually jewelled

The big things were the bolt, barrel marking (underside) and the stock with checkering and sling swivels.

SDOmeone correct me if I am wrong and don't hesitate to add to this.

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim is correct.

The special SG stock furniture included a black plastic forend tip, grip cap of plastic (early) or metal (later), wraparound checkering, cheekpiece of various shapes over the years, and the special SG 2-screw inletted swivel bases and oversize snap swivels.

The standard stocks had no contrasting forend tip, no grip cap, no cheekpiece (later ones had the Monte Carlo comb though), 4-separate-panel checkering and plain non-detachable swivels.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And the floorplates were stamped 'Supergrade'.
Grant.

Posts: 336 | Location: SE Minnesota | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a mint pre64 Winchester M-70 Supergrade in 300H&H. If you want I can email you some pictures. This gun is probably the most accurrate rifle I own.....it will put five 200gr Nosler Partitions in the same hole at 100 yards. I was told that these rifles have cut-rifled barrels.

I should probably sell it, but "who" sells guns....Ha

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oldmodel70:
And the floorplates were stamped 'Supergrade'.
Grant.

Yup, that was the first thing that caught my eye on the one listed in classifieds.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Thank you for all the help with my question. One thing I am still unsure of is if the only differences are cosmetic - such as the items listed above - or if there is an actual quality difference. For example: are the SG receivers made to a higher level of tolerance or fit and finish than a standard grade? Were different barrels used?

Basically I guess I am asking is if there is a true level of quality difference or are the differences basically cosmetic?

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From my limited data base (brain) i seem to remember being told the backwards "S" on the recoil lug suposedly indicate the action was five some sort of special treatment for whatever reason, I don't know.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I thought the super grades came with a red recoil pad. As opposed to a standard butt plate.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I have seen "Super grade" stamped on the magazine bottom metal. Was this in the pre 64s?

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11249 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
'Super Grade' on the floorplate was also used on lots of post-64s so that's no guarantee.

Red recoil pads with the Winchester logo, patent date and red rubber screw-head plugs were used on pre-64 SGs such as 458s and 375s and I've even seen one 270 SG with such an original treatment, but they were special order on all but the 375s and 458s as far as I know.

Early barrels were cut-rifled but sometime in the '50s they began using broached barrels. I've never noticed any accuracy or cleaning difference in the 2 types or in the SGs versus the standards.

I'm no pre-64 expert but have owned and shot several dozen in cals from Swift to 458. At least a dozen were SGs, again in cals from Swift to 458, and I noticed no essential difference in their comparative performance against the standard models.

FWIW I personally would not pay extra for a SG expecting better performance than the standard model, and I especially would not pay full extra price for a rifle with ANY alterations. I would, however, pay something extra for the braggin' rights of the Super Grade name on an altered rifle, but not a lot extra. JMOFWIW.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The supergrades varied through the years.

They all had supergrade marked floorplates, all had inletted swivels, all had cheekpiece stocks with black plastic forend tip and grip caps of various materials throughout production. All had supergrade checkering patterns(wrap around at wrist and forend). All had special front sight inserts.

Early ones were generally marked on the bottom of the barrel but this was not always done. The early 375's used a different barrel than standard 375. Mid 1950's production had rust blued barrels and Super stamped on the barrel with the S on the lug. These also had the jeweled bolts, followers and extractors. Recoil pads were only put on 375's and 458's.

Lots of special order supergrades deviate from the norm.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too have a .300 H&H SG pre 64 (1952) and the sucker shoots to one hole @ 100 with a Weaver K-6 and 180 Gr NPs.

Once in Africa I was doing the 'requesite shoot-in with my PH - I fired a shot at a 1" black circle on a box - He remarked - you're not even on the papaer mate! We had one of his trackers run down and look - nearly dead-center of the black dot...He scoff'd and said "I'll wager you can't do that again...Boom! Tracker brought up box...Perfect figure "8"!!!

We were off to a good atart!!! LOL!

I LOVE Pre-64 SGs better than any other rifle! At this pont I have them in a half a dozen calibers from .22 Hornet up to .458.

Great, understated rifles! True classics!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is what a pre-64 Model 70 looks like:

The Griffin & Howe side mount was not standard equipment. This one is in .243 Winchester.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My 300H&H pre64 Winchester M-70 Supergrade has a checkered steel butt plate. I also have a 375H&H pre64 Winchester M-70 Supergrade with a solid red recoil pad that says "Winchester".

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote