New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rechamber Remington 700 CDL
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I ran a search for an answer to this question but could not find it. I would like a left-hand 7mm-08, and LH short actions are hard to find outside of a custom made rifle. Would rechambering the .243 CDL only require rebarreling, or is it a more involved process? I would have a qualified gunsmith do all the work. Thanks in advance for the help.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
The 243, 7mm-08 and 308 are all the same case just necked down. A simple rebarrel would do. If you are not interested in a custom barrel you might be able to find a 7mm-08 takeoff.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's what I was hoping. Thank you for the help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
another option would be to rebore the original 243 barrel, assuming it is a stable shooter to begin with.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
another option would be to rebore the original 243 barrel, assuming it is a stable shooter to begin with.

Jim,
So you wouldn't recommend a rebore until the rifle had already been shot some? What criteria do you use to determine whether the barrel is a suitable candidate for reboring?

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Unless it is some custom coutour there is no way I would rebore a factory barrel. You can replace with a good quality barrel for the same $$.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stu C,
We like to see a barrel with a track record of consistancy. Once in awhile you come across a barrel that just will not settle down. Wants to shoot a group now and then, but will throw in an unexplained flier now and then. Or shoots to a different point of impact on consecutive range trips. When all the other variables have been eliminated (stock, bedding, bolt problems, scope or mounts, barrel crown etc) and it looks like the barrel is the guilty party, then a rebore will most likely not cure the problem. It is possible it will be in the metal or heat-treat/stess relieving. Even tho the cut rifling will not induce stresses into the work, it will not remove them either.