Tools

Two 98 Mauser Questions
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kory
posted
Gentlemen,

I have two questions regarding my 1938 Turkish 98 Mauser for you:

1. I know this is real simple but I have not figured it out yet. How on earth do you remove the front barrel band? This really the second one which the swivel it attached to and also hold the top peice of stock against the top of the barrel.

2. Can this 8x57 bolt & extractor cope with a 22 PPC case if I set it up as a single shot? I think the PPC head is slightly smaller. If not, I'll go with 22 BR instead. I need to keep recoil low, so I'm really not interested in other cartidges.

Sincerely,
Kory

Posts: 860 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Kory,
I can't answer your questions directly. I never did any work with a PPC case on a Mauser action, but I do have a 22 BR built up on a Mauser 98 using the standard extractor, which works perfectly. I do LIKE the 22 BR... And can recommend it on a 98.
Take care,
Don

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Barrel Bands

You should be able to wiggle the rear barrel band down the wood. The front barrel band, the one that fits over the bayonet lug at the very end of the stock, can be on the there really tight. I've used a brass hammer to tap on them and get them started. You could use that brass hammer to tap on both of them for that matter.

The barrel bands on an old mauser can be a real bitch to remove some times. If they're stuck tight and if you'll be using this rifle as an action donor, break out the dremel and cut them off. Otherwise, you'll just have to work at it until you get them off.

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kory
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. It looks like this rifle has been modified. The front band does have the flat spring, but the middle band does not. It appears as it someone drilled through, drove a nail in from one end through the other, and then flatted the tip. I think a dremel job is in order.

Thanks,
Kory

Posts: 860 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Kory, they did use a nail then peened it over. Remove the staking job they did, drive the pin out, and persuade the band off.

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Kory
you might even get it to feed 22 BR...

you said you aren't interested in other round... but i'll tell you anyway, the 7br will have MUCH MUCH better long range accuracy, aebe

jeffe

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote