THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Erfurt stalking rifle dovetail sight needed.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted
Width at the bottom is about .277". Depth is about .09" I'm not sure what the angle is. I'm looking for something original looking. The rifle is in very nice condition. I'd take one in NOS condition or used. Anybody? Ray

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
sohcahtoa Cool

here

Posts: 6489 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
That looks like a standard dovetail that has been buggered. Note the peened slash on the side of the ramp.

My guess would be that a good gunsmith could repair this much better than could be done by simply sticking in a sight.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
richj Might work if I had perfect edges to measure. Even so, I don't have a mill or want to mess with a gunsmith. It's probably not worth much more than the $500 I got in it. Jason, I could make an original sight fit properly. Very little ramp metal was lost in the act of butchery. You should see what they had forced in there in the first place! Luckily the 'rigged' sight was made from softer metal and took most of the damage. Somebody will step up sooner or later with a match. I just saw one on Cabela's for free. But it came with the rest of the gun and shipping was like $2,100! bsflag Thanks. Ray

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
By the way, the standard Mauser dovetail from Brownell's is too small at .205" wide at the bottom. Most American standard ones are .375 wide.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lots of choices, inexpensive, and not a whole lot of work to modify. Cheap enough to screw up and start over.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/874/1

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
That's an awesome looking rifle!

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get yourself a 60 degree file and a standard 3/8 sight. You can either file the sight to fit the slot or the slot to fit the sight. I'd do the latter so you can change sight height if needed.

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thanks craigster. I ordered a few. No exact matches. But, like you said, cheap enough......Ray

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thanks Austin Hunter. Bluing is about 80%+ and it points like a 22!

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
srose I'll probably do most of the filing to the sight after I clean up the cut in the ramp.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
safe one side of the file...

Posts: 437 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 20 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
yup

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Site no longer needed. Thanks.