New
Find
Notify
Tools

milling an octagon
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If you were going to mill a rifle barrel to an octagon shape on a vertical mill (a VMC) would you set it up to feed toward the dividing head or toward the supporting center?

Posts: 700 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always set the barrel up with the chamber end of the barrel at the dividing head. I like to cut from the muzzle/tailstock toward the chamber/dividing head. I make two passes, rough and finish. I also alternate cuts 180 degrees apart.

Craftsman

Posts: 1540 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think it makes much difference but I do it toward the dividing head.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5507 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
a better question might be whether you should climb mill or conventional mill.

I assume by VMC you mean "vertical machining center" ie: CNC controlled machine.

Climb mill if at all possible.

Assuming you have your dividing head(or 4th axis as it is usually called in CNC jargon) on the RH side cutting on the backside toward the dividing head will be climb milling.

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been a job shop machinist for 41 years. I'm half owner of job shop. I, also, have a gunsmithing degree from an accredited 2 yr. gunsmithing program, acquired during my "younger" years. I know the difference between climb cutting and conventional milling. I've, also, got sense enough to not try to cut to size in one pass. I cut an octagon and fluted several barrels while in school. But, we used a hortzontal mill. That set-up was alot more complicated than what I have in mind. Cutter geometry is a mite different between a cutter for a horizontal mill (or the equivalent mounted on a stub and used on a vertical mill) and a cutter normally used on a vertical machine. Yes, VMC means vertical milling center, that abreviation has been used for years. A 4th isn't required as a manual dividing head will work just fine. Make a pass, back the supports away from the barrel, index, move the supports back into position, cut another flat 180* from the last one. Should take less than 8 lines of G code, written on the shop floor, instead of ???????? if I set-up the 4th. I wasn't looking for complete instructions. I thought my question was a simple one directed at those who had cut an octagon on a vertical mill before, be it a manual machine or a VMC (vertical milling center). I guesss not! By the way, I'll climb mill on my finish pass, probably .010", for a finish that'll take less draw filing (hopefully!).

Posts: 700 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slivers:
I've been a job shop machinist for 41 years. I'm half owner of job shop. I, also, have a gunsmithing degree from an accredited 2 yr. gunsmithing program, acquired during my "younger" years. I know the difference between climb cutting and conventional milling. I've, also, got sense enough to not try to cut to size in one pass. I cut an octagon and fluted several barrels while in school. But, we used a hortzontal mill. That set-up was alot more complicated than what I have in mind. Cutter geometry is a mite different between a cutter for a horizontal mill (or the equivalent mounted on a stub and used on a vertical mill) and a cutter normally used on a vertical machine. Yes, VMC means vertical milling center, that abreviation has been used for years. A 4th isn't required as a manual dividing head will work just fine. Make a pass, back the supports away from the barrel, index, move the supports back into position, cut another flat 180* from the last one. Should take less than 8 lines of G code, written on the shop floor, instead of ???????? if I set-up the 4th. I wasn't looking for complete instructions. I thought my question was a simple one directed at those who had cut an octagon on a vertical mill before, be it a manual machine or a VMC (vertical milling center). I guesss not! By the way, I'll climb mill on my finish pass, probably .010", for a finish that'll take less draw filing (hopefully!).

I agree, especially the cleanup climb cut.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote